Newer font version does not properly overwrite previous

Hello,

I seem to be having an issue where an updated font version does not properly overwrite (and take precedence over) an existing (older) installation with the same font family name.

Between the two, the font's family name (i.e. Full Font Name and PostScript name) are exactly the same. However, their Version string (font revision), Unique Font Identifier and output file name are different (so as to differentiate the two versions outside of the OS's font folder.

In Windows 10, trying to install the newer version appears to be successful (asks the usual...whether I wish to overwrite existing installation). However, the new installation does not seem to take precedence over the previously installed version (when tested with the target application). Yes, I tried rebooting my machine but still get the same results.

A similar issue is occurring on MacOS (Mojave). There, it gives me a popup (error ?) dialog, asking whether I wish to overwrite. Clicked yes, and as with Windows...I assume installation is correct, only to find that the previous version still takes precedence.

One assumes that the newer installation should overwrite whatever is installed and take precedence? If this is not the case, what should one do to assure that a font overwrite is always successful? i.e. without having to ask the end-user to first uninstall the previous version from their machines.

Appreciate your thoughts

Comments

• This is most likely a caching issue. You need to clear your font cache. On macOS, this can be done using a utility like OnyX. Someone else can probably recommend a similar solution for Windows.

OnyX is available from https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html
  • We have some info on your site about the MacOS side: https://glyphsapp.com/learn/eliminating-font-cache-problems 
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    edited June 2022
    In Windows 10/11 there can be two font installation folders as well as a font folder for the Microsoft Store. It's possible to end up with conflicting versions installed. I can't recall the paths, but I solved a similar mystery this way.

In other words, if you right click and install for all users, then right click and install a different version for the current user, you can end up with both versions installed. If you uninstall, it may only remove one version and leave the other one hiding somewhere.
  • You should be able to sort it out with a font manager. Obviously MainType for Windows is the one we recommend.
  • Yves MichelYves Michel Posts: 151
    Hello Bemo,

I had the same problem in Windows 10.
    Going to <Parameters, Personnalize, Fonts> (in French <Paramètres, Personnaliser, Polices>), I could see that my font included 2 types of fonts, which was abnormal.
    I uninstalled them and reinstalled the desired one and the problem was solved.

But it's true Main Type could help you too. It's a very helpful software, even with a free version.
  • Bernie CossentinoBernie Cossentino Posts: 19
    edited June 2022
    Hello Bemo,

I had the same problem in Windows 10.
    Going to <Parameters, Personnalize, Fonts> (in French <Paramètres, Personnaliser, Polices>), I could see that my font included 2 types of fonts, which was abnormal.
    I uninstalled them and reinstalled the desired one and the problem was solved.

But it's true Main Type could help you too. It's a very helpful software, even with a free version.
    Merci Yves,
    J'ai fait exactement la meme chose que toi, avec les memes resultats.
    Thank you everyone, for your responses.
    I understand this can be simple and complicated at the same time. As I'm more concerned about how my intended end-user experiences the installation process of the updated font in question, I fear the best and easiest solution is to (sadly) instruct them to first uninstall their previous font (on either the Mac or Windows platform). This, at least theoretically, should eliminate the cache and/or duplicate font issue at hand?
    Many thanks, once again.

• James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    This, at least theoretically, should eliminate the cache and/or duplicate font issue at hand?

It will probably work on Windows. On Macs the font cache might still get corrupted and need to be cleared.
  • Bernie CossentinoBernie Cossentino Posts: 19
    edited June 2022
    This, at least theoretically, should eliminate the cache and/or duplicate font issue at hand?

It will probably work on Windows. On Macs the font cache might still get corrupted and need to be cleared.

Thanks James,
    I suppose I'll have to instruct the user to both delete and clear their cache as a fallback. It's sad that this isn't easier for them. Small price to pay, perhaps...
    Thanks to all.
  • Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the font cache will eventually refresh? (Similar to how cache on the web tends to eventually refresh)
  • You should be able to sort it out with a font manager. Obviously MainType for Windows is the one we recommend.

I would recommend FontBase, it let's you search even by specific ranges of weight like 421 (0.421). I have fully implemented it in my workflow