I am looking for criticism and advice about graffiti font

Gaspar Muñoz Gaspar Muñoz Posts: 7
edited July 2020 in Type Design Critiques
Hello everyone, I am Gaspar, typedesigner from Chile. Last year I developed this project but it still doesn't quite convince me. I need another look to improve the project.
-

Throw-up is a Display typeface that was developed in the Typography Diploma of the Catholic University of Chile in 2019. It is clearly inspired by the style of letters present in graffiti called "Flop" or "Throw-up", which is generally built through spray paints and different special valves for this practice, which are known as "Fatcaps" that give them the transition of thick and thin lines depending on the speed and proximity with which this tool is handled.

Besides, it is built with simple shapes, typical of this style due to the quickness of how graffiti is done, because it is an illegal act.

This font has 3 style variants: Trace, Fill, and SVG (color), the latter allows the font to behave similar to graffiti.

I remain attentive to any comment and criticism that helps me generate a better design!

Comments

• K PeaseK Pease Posts: 182
    While I doubt the extended character set is going to come up in use very often, the thin penetrating bars aren't much doing it. Most of them would be better laid entirely over the front, and Ð especially should be designed as one whole shape.
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited July 2020
    I disagree about the Ð, but the diacritics definitely should be much more plump and bigger. Study Val and Clou by Fontfabric.
    But I'm absolutely LOVING the daggers. 
  • Of course! I hadn't noticed that. Those diacritics are not part of my language, I am not so familiar with them and trying to experiment. I will improve it.
    Thanks 
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    # doesn't look overinflated enough.
    I wonder if the horizontal counter of /O/o/Q is too wide. 
    Are the interior lines between letters and diacritics/tittles too thick?
    Curious, is there a reason why the counter of the e in /oe is different from /e's and /ae's?
    I might skip the crossbar on /seven, and add a bottom bar to /one.
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    Of course! I hadn't noticed that. Those diacritics are not part of my language, I am not so familiar with them and trying to experiment. I will improve it.
    Thanks 
    Whichever language you are doing Latin diacritics for, they should generally be in harmony with the style of the base letter. Bold weights get bold diacritics etc..

There are, of course, exceptions, but for this particular font no need. :)