Do you trademark your typeface(s)?

Lars SchwarzLars Schwarz Posts: 114
edited October 2019 in Type Business
I just added trademark info to the name check tool (https://namecheck.fontdata.com/) and was wondering if any individual/independent designers also trademark their work?

As of now I indexed 1004live/active trademarks for fonts specifically, mostly those of Monotype, Berthold, Fontshop, Apple, Bauer and other "big players" and I'm curious to find out if I missed any of yours?

So if you trademarked your work (internationally) it would be great to add those trademark(s), too. Also curious to hear if you only registered a local trademark only and for what reasons.
Tagged:

Comments

• We trademark in the US only.  It's mostly just a due diligence thing. US is the biggest market and, caching issues being what they are, no one really wants to steal our names.  
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,732
    edited October 2019
    I didn’t, but wished I had.
    So now I do... but like Joyce, just US.

I think/hope that is sufficient. Anybody selling Latin-based fonts will want to be able to sell to the US, I figure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    I register most Shinntype names in the US. It does seem like an unnecessary expense for those designs which are one-off novelties, though, I don’t bother for those.
  • @Nick Shinn
    That would be Bodoni Egyptian, Beaufort, Sense and Neology (and Shinn Type), correct, or am I missing some names?

• @James Montalbano
    Not sure this is important, but I was wondering why I wasn't able to find Yo and then noticed that it's actually registered to "Terrminal Design, Inc." (notice the double r). 
  • notdefnotdef Posts: 168
    What about Brown, Nick?
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    edited October 2019
    I don’t recall.