Talljob

Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 428
edited August 13 in Type Design Critiques

A tall display.

Comments

• ivan louetteivan louette Posts: 262
    Lovely as it is ! Will it be always open anyway ?
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 428
    edited August 13
    @ivan louette I am sorry, I did not understand the question. :)
    I imagine it could be used on luxury brands and glam magazines. :)
  • Was this inspired by cyrillic vyaz'?
    @Vasil Stanev Sorry for my bad English ;) My question was : will you draw also a not outline version ?
    edited August 13
    Alan Bernard Hughes No,  it is a very old project that I redid with more slender proportions. 
    ivan louette It depends on how the solid version will turn out. It will certainly have slightly different outlines.

• Paul MillerPaul Miller Posts: 209
    Nice.
    Is there going to be a lower case ?
  • Theunis de JongTheunis de Jong Posts: 97
    edited August 13
    I love the fin-de-siècle vibe, it's somewhere between Jugendstil and early Art Deco.

A solid fill with the exact same dimensions – so they can be overlaid – would be awesome! Also, an alternative fill such as this would be a nice touch (if you excuse my quick Photoshopping):

(Afterthought) Oh, and how about having an initial /A as this one, but complemented by a medial and final? I like this slender tail you have on several characters.
  • Adam LaddAdam Ladd Posts: 150
    Intriguing and ornate. Is Talljob a working name? 
  • I’m liking it as well. However, and perhaps its just how its rendered on screen, the descenders of /A /G /J /K /Q and /R feel a bit uncomfortable. The discomfort being the very thin sliver of white in the engraved areas.

edited August 13
    Paul Miller There will probably be a lowercase.
    Theunis de Jong Thank you for the creative input! I will definitely consider this direction, albeit maybe with the fill thinning upwards.
    Adam Ladd Yes, it is a working name, and I am open for more ideas! :)
  • I'm having trouble parsing the dramatic curvature of the backward-facing serifs in /B/ etc. They also disturb the left sidebearings of those letters. I also find the foot of /P/ irritating. Maybe the bottom right stem of /G/ could rise a bit higher up to make it look less like /Ç/?
  • Adam LaddAdam Ladd Posts: 150
    edited August 14
    Ok, just wondering. My first impression when I read the name was that the design would be a little more plain, wasn't expecting something more decorative :) So I think there could be more exploration there when the time comes.
  • Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 372
    I'm having similar feelings as Christian about /B/D/P. I think the structure of contrast is unapologetically Cyrillic, symmetrical like in Ж. Similarity to vyaz and the art deco vibe might justify this. But I also sense that the steep serifs make the letters' overshoots look somehow insufficient. Maybe you could develop alternative, more timid medial forms, and enlarge overshoots in the current ones and keep them as swashes/initials?
    edited August 15
    A solid fill with the exact same dimensions 
    Here you go ;) it looks better now
    because of all the people that gave their valuable advice :)

Some lowercase and variations on the filling.

Very interesting ! Perhaps some diagonals on /v and /y lack of consistency in filled version and top of /r and horizontal bar on /t need a little bit more work ?
  • Better!
    The /M/ feels a bit out of place now. Maybe something along the lines of the (very sexy) /W/ would work? Or maybe a sloped single-stroke roof like in /A/ if you're feeling adventurous.
    The crossbars in /A/H/ feel too dark. Conversely, /B/ could use a more pronounced crossbar to match /R/. /E/F/T/ are significantly wider than I'd expect, given the other glyphs. Tops of /E/F/ are inconsistent with the rest of the «shiny» font.
    Something about the descending curls doesn't quite click for me yet. Maybe try increasing the curvature motononously from the stem to the ball? I.e., make the curve radius smaller as the tail approaches the ball.
    I guess the spacing is not done yet? (/A/B, /N/O)
    edited August 17

Alan Bernard Hughes No,  it is a very old project that I redid with more slender proportions. 
    Turns out I have preserved it! :D Oh how time flies. (Sorry for the spam)