Callout for Japanese typefaces at MyFonts

This landed in my inbox today, might be of interest:

---

MyFonts is going to Japan!

Over the past few years, our loyal Japanese customers have asked us to provide a localized version of MyFonts. We’re embarking on the exciting new project of localizing MyFonts for the Japanese market. Not only have we already set up currency payments in Yen, we are fully translating the site, setting up local Japan payment methods, and creating Japan-specific marketing campaigns.

Calling all Japanese Typefaces!

We are looking to expand our Japanese font inventory, and invite you to get in touch if you have any Japanese typefaces you are interested in selling on MyFonts.

We have seen great success with two recent Japanese releases: Tazugane Gothic and SST Japanese. We hope to be able to do the same for you! By releasing a Japanese typeface through MyFonts at this early stage, your typeface will get higher visibility and be featured in marketing campaigns specific to the Japanese market.

If you would like to submit Japanese typefaces or have any questions, please email Mary Catherine at foundrysupport@myfonts.com.

Thank you,
MyFonts Foundry Team

Comments

• James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    One would think supporting Japanese would require too much labor for 90% off campaign to bring in a profit.
  • Peiran TanPeiran Tan Posts: 22
    edited July 2017
    My immediate hunch is that this is going to flip. The prevalent licensing model for Japanese foundries and the particularities of working with Japanese font consumers are very different than that of the West. And if you’re an upstart who just graduated from, say, Musashino, you’re going to get into Morisawa or something instead of starting an indie.
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    I've looked into making a Japanese typeface and I can't figure out how it can be done with less than 4 full-time workers, working for 4 years. Like a million bucks, minimum. Although it might be possible for one person to produce a novelty display typeface that's intentionally silly or maybe digitized handwriting. I haven't totally written off the idea but I think I'd need to clear a year of my schedule so that's never going to happen.