Edit feature

RalfRalf Posts: 170
edited October 2012 in Suggestions and Bug Reports
Seems there is a time limit for the post edit function. Could that be changed or even deactivated at all, so posts can be edited by the author at any time? In such a small circle I don't think it would be a problem.

In my German typography board people can change their posts forever, and it's hardly ever misused, but very useful, even if it is for the simple reasons of correcting typos.
Especially among the people here, which probably mostly use a Mac with Apple's auto correct, which can do horrible changes of meaning ;-)

Comments

• I believe you have an hour to edit, after that it's locked in forrrreeever. I don't see this as a problem, especially after the recent typophile purge.
  • Jackson is correct. The edit feature at Typophile has been a frequent source of abuse that leads to nasty flaming. So I plan to leave it as it is.
  • Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 994
    edited October 2012
    I have mixed feelings about this. Generally I agree that a time limit is important for preventing abuse in an open forum, but it feels like TypeDrawers is a smaller, more tight-knit group. I don't edit old posts often, but it's useful for updating broken links or adding a bit of extra info.

Perhaps the compromise is that anything edited after an hour requires an "Edited" label and the original text is available via a link. Does Vanilla offer a feature like that?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RalfRalf Posts: 170
    The edit feature at Typophile has been a frequent source of abuse that leads to nasty flaming.
    Which is symptom of other problems this site has. The existence of the edit feature is not the problem …

• Link rot can be addressed by a brief new post, no need to edit old posts, imo.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RalfRalf Posts: 170
    Link rot can be addressed by a brief new post, no need to edit old posts, imo.
    Where in a long discussion the broken link and the correction are 10 pages apart?
    Also, this mere correction would show up as new post for all forum users, which would be more annoying than helpful.
  • I think the current set up is good; if corrections are needed after that, easy to make them as a new post :)