Looking for advice on improving my eye

[Disclaimer 1: My first post here. Please correct me if I'm posting in the wrong place.]
[Disclaimer 2: I know this is something that naturally happens over time. I’m hoping for pointers to help on the journey]
---
My goal with this is to create a Grotesk font that takes inspiration from 19th Century display type. I want to avoid the kind of smoothed-over perfection found in 20th century neo-grotesks. But while I gravitate towards the imperfections and irregularity that give a font character and make it feel hand-tooled, I still want it to feel harmonious and functional in today’s world.

My challenge is in how to make a font with highly contrasting stem widths into something with consistent tone and rhythm. Nothing should seem too large or small, nothing too heavy or light. If I had a better trained eye, I could probably spot where it’s out of balance, but I’m relatively new to this.

I’m not asking for a complete course on this - but I’m wondering if anyone has any practical approaches to how you look at a font and how to hone your eye. How does your eye move, and what are you looking for? Is there a guiding philosophy?

As an example: studying fine art I had a teacher share a technique for quickly flipping your gaze back and forth from the subject to your canvas -- over and over. Once I learned how to look at it this way, I’d see what was different or not correctly proportioned. Eye training.

Anyway, when I print these out, they’re just not working. Here are a few letters to show the challenge:

And here it is with measuring balls to show the extent of the contrast:

Many thanks!

Comments

• It's hard to say what is 'just not working' when imperfections are your goal. I actually think this could be a decent starting point for something quirky, but it's hard to pinpoint the direction without more glyphs. Looking at the glyphs you've shown, you could categorise your strokes broadly into 3 categories:
    - Thick: verticals and north-western diagonals
    - Medium: horizontals and north-eastern diagonals
    - Thin: space saving areas like the middle bar of E and A.

I would suggest to place the north-eastern diagonal in M into the thin category, and the left-most stem into the medium category. The bar in H you could place into the medium category, or keep it as is for a more quirky look. In the latter case you'd be going for something more experimental for display purposes, and you could also consider e.g. putting both diagonals of the M into the thin category.

Training your eye, like you've suggested, comes with experience. When I'm checking for color, I think I sometimes subconsciously focus on a point that is either further in the distance or closer to me than the actual display/paper I'm looking at, but I don't think about this. Don't move your eyes too much, but try zooming in and out mentally. You can also try squinting your eyes, although I rarely do that myself. Flipping all text, or just looking at your printout upside-down can help to disassociate the shapes from the letters/words they represent.

Consider skipping the inktraps for now, they may be more of a distraction than a tool in this stage. If you keep them, also add an inktrap to the Y.

• Jasper - thank you for your kind reply! Flipping the text backwards or upside down seems like a great solution for evaluation.   
  • Drawcard
    Drawcard Posts: 56
    edited September 25
    Hi there, so my personal opinion is that your sample reflects the sort of thing you're striving for - I am getting a sense of that "hand tooled" quality, in that the contrast varies in subtle ways and it doesn't feel mathematically precise.

That said, I think you could add some slight overshoot to /O so this doesn't recede in perceived height to other characters: https://fonts.google.com/knowledge/glossary/overshoot

Also I would suggest reading up about typographic colour as that will help you achieve a general "evenness" with your font's appearance: https://fonts.google.com/knowledge/glossary/color & test your font for colour & rhythm here: https://www.impallari.com/testing/tools.php (click "Color Grid" to generate a test pattern)

Getting a copy of Karen Cheng's "Designing Type" will also help you train your eye by studying other fonts and seeing how they are built.

I think you're heading in the right direction with what you want to achieve & I wouldn't get too hung up on the maths being correct with your stem weights. It's totally fine to adjust to what your eye thinks is best.

Good luck & keep us posted!
  • Pay attention to the counter shapes (white shapes inside the letters). They should also be visually equalized between the letters. In this regard, the counter shapes of the M look much smaller than those of the other letters.
  • Looks nice and fresh, you have good taste. This is a conceptually advanced project, because — as Jasper categorized — your logic of thin and thick is different from genre classics.

My advice is to work in iterations and embrace the font versioning as a production model. No matter how close you inspect the typeface you can't see all at first.

I might be wrong, but to me, H, M, and E look wider than A, Y, and O. Maybe you intentionally want that uneven rhythm though.