Options

Postscript errors in Excel

Connor DavenportConnor Davenport Posts: 35
edited June 2019 in Font Technology
I'm stumped...has anyone else run into a problem with printing from Excel. I am noticing that when printing the Bold and other styles the file freaks out and the only thing that prints is a bunch of postscript code. Someone else noted that the glyphs in the Bold jump around. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Best,
C

Comments

• Options
    Rafael SaraivaRafael Saraiva Posts: 33
    edited June 2019
    Very difficult to say from your description. Can you share the sources or at least provide more details? Which plataform? App version? CFF/TTF? Static/variable? Printer? Etc
  • Options
    I've never seen this problem on either Mac or Windows. My suggestion is to post the issue in the Support forum for your model of printer. If they don't have a user forum then contact their Tech Support. It could be a driver issue.
  • Options
    Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,748
    Does this problem happen with a particular font, or with all fonts?

Have you tried using a different printer, but still PostScript? Does it print to non-PostScript printers? What happens if you try exporting a PDF, does it export successfully? And if so, does it print from the PDF?
  • Options
    I have had this same problem with an HP printer, but that was 10 years ago. Sometimes it would only print two lines of PS code on a page and some other lines on the next page. I'n not sure, but I think it had something to do with Word making the font bold or italic, and not using a true bold or italic
  • Options
    Very difficult to say from your description. Can you share the sources or at least provide more details? Which plataform? App version? CFF/TTF? Static/variable? Printer? Etc
    Sorry, I totally thought that I put the specs in my post. I'm running macOS 10.14, Excel 16.26, CFF fonts (Static), and using a Xerox Phaser 3330. 

Does this problem happen with a particular font, or with all fonts?

Have you tried using a different printer, but still PostScript? Does it print to non-PostScript printers? What happens if you try exporting a PDF, does it export successfully? And if so, does it print from the PDF?
    Some fonts, not all :/ I only have access to one other printer that is non-postscript and it works totally fine. I am also able to export to PDF and print from that.

Update:
    Okay, this is really strange because I restarted my computer today and it works now but I am still a bit baffled by the whole situation.
    Thanks for all your help with this.

• Options
    I work in the printing industry with Xerox printers - they are mysterious creatures.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,748
    Sometimes weird things happen with printers.

I have a pile of about 30–40 pages resulting from a printing error, in which the printer ended up outputting the actual code being sent, instead of the results of that code. Or at least it did until I pulled the paper tray, then unplugged it to clear its memory. But as there were quite a few form-feed commands, the average spoilt page has just 4-10 characters (in lovely 12 point Courier). I have been slowly re-using this stock for drafts and proofs.
  • Options
    This is likely unrelated but I was forced to stop updating excel at version 15.41 (Mac) — every version after that looks like it's adding tracking to my text and causes all existing .xlsx files to reflow horribly.