List OT features of a font with script/app?

Hello,
anyone knows a simple app or script (OS X) that list all OT features (e.g. “dlig”) of a .OTF file?
I like to test around 50 fonts of which features are implemented and I don’t like to import all the fonts into Fontlab.
Thanks,
Thomas

Comments

• If you not begrudge us premium champagne with our daily lobster, then go for the OTM summer promo (left column). Otherwise you could try the free OTM 2.0 version (right column).

• For now, I try to use the free OTM version, because I’m addicted to caviar and whiskey and need all my money for that, Frank. ;-)
    Thanks Frank, that’s exactly what I was looking for! You are my first class hero!
    Thomas
  • you could write a script that uses fonttools to read the feature tags.
  • Hi Georg,

you could write a script that uses fonttools to read the feature tags.

How much sense does that make now Thomas' problem seems to be conveniently solved? Reminds me a bit of a student who stated after I demonstrated the subsetting of OT Layout features in the DTL/URW++ tools (since 2002), that she would wait with applying until this functionality would become available in her preferred font editor.
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    How much sense does that make now Thomas' problem seems to be conveniently solved?
    OTM is a wonderful application, but a decent coder could write a shell script that analyzes all 50 fonts and spit out a report. If Thomas has to do this sort of thing on a regular basis a script would be a good use of his time.
  • Agreed. a Python script using fonttools would be very simple.
  • I’d use LCDF's otfinfo tool. Here showing the features of the latn script (the tool’s default):

~$ otfinfo -f amiri-regular.ttf
    calt Contextual Alternates
    ccmp Glyph Composition/Decomposition
    fina Terminal Forms
    init Initial Forms
    kern Kerning
    liga Standard Ligatures
    mark Mark Positioning
    medi Medial Forms
    pnum Proportional Figures
    rlig Required Ligatures
    rtlm Right-to-left Mirrored Forms
    ss01 Stylistic Set 1
    ss02 Stylistic Set 2
    ss04 Stylistic Set 4
    ss05 Stylistic Set 5
    And here explicitly asking for the arab script:

~$ otfinfo -f --script=arab amiri-regular.ttf
    calt Contextual Alternates
    ccmp Glyph Composition/Decomposition
    curs Cursive Positioning
    fina Terminal Forms
    init Initial Forms
    kern Kerning
    liga Standard Ligatures
    locl Localized Forms
    mark Mark Positioning
    medi Medial Forms
    mkmk Mark to Mark Positioning
    pnum Proportional Figures
    rlig Required Ligatures
    rtlm Right-to-left Mirrored Forms
    ss01 Stylistic Set 1
    ss02 Stylistic Set 2
    ss03 Stylistic Set 3
    ss04 Stylistic Set 4
    ss05 Stylistic Set 5
  • Well, I used OTM for the job, but after 20 fonts it got quite repetitive. It’s not the fault of OTM, of course, but I believe it really would be easier to have a script of some sort.
    otfinfo is a good tip, thanks Khaled. I will try that out, but I believe to install it via homebrew & co. is not the easiest way for me (form the way of understanding of how to do). :)
  • Of course, a nice extra of OTM is that one can see what the features actually do.