MS Word Font Embedding

Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
edited January 2014 in Type Design Software
On twitter I read that Microsoft now embeds fonts in .doc files by default in the latest version of Word. Is this true? I see how to turn it on but full font embedding by default seems new to me

Comments

• SiDanielsSiDaniels Posts: 277
    You can test this yourself. Crate a document using a couple of different fonts. Save it out. Then turn on embedding and save and see if the file size gets bigger.
  • Miles NewlynMiles Newlyn Posts: 236
    edited January 2014
    interesting. which version of word?
    Dave mentions latest version, and as Mac office doesn't support font embedding, that would make this a reference to "Word 2013" for Windows.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    edited January 2014
    As far as I can tell, all the article cited reports is that it is possible via Word preferences to make font embedding the default behaviour, rather than having to set this for individual documents. And embedding is still governed by fsType embedding bit permissions.
    edited January 2014
    That explains it :-)
  • Does Word 2013 support embedding PostScript flavored OpenType at long last? Or is it still TTF only?

Related: Word 2010’s PDF creation capability turns PostScipt flavored OpenType fonts into aliased bitmap images. :( Wondering if that was fixed in Word 2013.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    Initial reports indicate that CFF font embedding words in Word 2013, but I've not tested it myself.
  • Maybe now they're just really high resolution bitmaps.
  • They are pretty high res coming out of Word 2010, to be fair. I almost didn't catch it. Problem was the bitmaps were failing to render at all in the “GoodReader” PDF viewer app on iPad.