Freeze on major changes until Monday, March 19.

I will not be making any major changes to the site before next Monday, March 19. I do not anticipate changing the forum structure beyond adding the private industry discussion forum and anything else that makes good sense. In the meanwhile I will be researching voting, moderation, etc.. 

Comments

• Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    When you do get back to revising features, something I would appreciate is a Preview function. Sometimes I need to see my words in actual situ to clarify. Much better to do this in Preview than keep editing a comment after posting.

(I don’t know why it’s so hard for me to finalize my thoughts in an input window, but it is. Maybe it’s the fact that I frequently exceed the window frame and scrolling disrupts my sense of the whole?)
  • Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Sorry, I just realized I should have put that request in the Features Request section.
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    I think that the preview issue is some kind of bug related to user permissions. My Admin level account can preview but nothing else can. I will work on it.
  • James

Do you need seed money to cover your time? Sorry if this is the wrong space for this.

Michael Clark
    I was planning to bring money up later if the board catches on, and when I know more about what to expect in terms of time commitment. Vanilla hosting will run me $600 a year. That is not a bad deal considering that I do not have to manage the security and configuration of the whole thing. But it’s still enough to cover a few student loan bills. I may end up running simple ads, features faces, or maybe even just take donations. I will post more about it next week.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    Advertising fonts to type designers doesn’t make much sense.
    So while I have occasionally advertised at Typophile, I wouldn’t at Typeboard.
    Fontlab, TypeCon, Slanted, Oak Knoll, those kinds of trade suppliers would be better bets for you.

• PabloImpallariPabloImpallari Posts: 777
    edited March 2012
    James, try Donations, $600/Year should be quite easy to collect.
    I will happily donate a few bucks to keep it ad-free.
  • I'd be happy to donate to the cause.

Also, this is just off the top of my head but what if we had some basic tutorials about hinting and/or python scripting? This might be more useful than trying to scroll through several threads when trying to find a resource, and it would (hopefully), cut down on people posting the same questions.
    Also, this is just off the top of my head but what if we had some basic tutorials about hinting and/or python scripting?

My guess is that anyone who could write them is too busy hinting webfonts and building Robofont addons right now. And ILoveTypography would probably be a more appropriate venue for instructional articles.
  • James,

What I was thinking is that as more posts are made, some of the more helpful tips could be curated into a FAQ of sorts.
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    Also, the Typophile wiki has a lot of that stuff. Maybe just include links to that? :-)
  • I'd kick in a bit too, James. Why not put a donation PayPal link somewhere here?