Typekit desktop sync

Well, do I need to say anything?

Comments

• It all depends on how the distribution agreement works. For the last three years I've been trying to get Typekit guys to explain how their underpriced webfont model would work when they decided to start cloud-based desktop fonts and never got a serious response. If foundries are getting paid enough to make up for the lost desktop sales and the value of being in a font library (you should be paid something for being in the library, regardless of usage), why not?
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 467
    If anything, my involvement with Typekit has been good for my sales at other venues (both desktop and web licenses). I expect the same will be true with this new thing.
  • Proxima Nova as a “free” webfont nicely filled the void anticipating Gotham ScreenSmart. It is one of the most popular fonts on Typekit, no?

Cloud fonts was inevitable, but I am not sure I’m comfortable with Adobe offering them. With CS/CC, and now Typekit, they control every step. There is no real alternative for professional desktop publishing. Will they allow competing services to sync with their applications?

On a related note: If “everything” is available to “everyone” for a small monthly sum, what does that do to the percieved value of a typeface?
  • Do you feel the same way about services like Spotify and Rdio for music? They are even more restrictive, only allow usage in their app etc, yet users (including me) love them. Yes it changes the paradigm for some businesses, but I don't see that as totally bad. Monotype is also offering cloud fonts (from what I understand) and I'm sure more will follow. Also, there is nothing stopping sales directly from foundry websites, right? In regard to cloud fonts, one benefit as I see it is that foundries will get paid every time their font is used, so I could effectively be paying you everyday if I used your type. That's just how I see it.
  • actually, I do feel that way about Spotify, but I'm a grumpy old man, so I think I'm probably in the minority on that one.
  • Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 404
    I think Frode is right that Mark’s experience is an outlier due to Proxima’s exceptional popularity. I am usually reticent to draw conclusions from the music industry when it comes to type, but the parallels between music and font services are too clear to be ignored. Just posted some other thoughts.
  • It's important to acknowledge there are different interests here: End Users and Content Creators. Library models are great for End Users. They get quick and easy access to a lot of stuff for a (reoccurring) small amount of money. On the other hand, the music industry has shown pretty convincingly that this model sucks for Content Creators, particularly those with small catalogs.
  • I agree. Especially if your work is for a niche.