accented and other glyphs in question

Hi,

In regard of my post https://typedrawers.com/discussion/3328/glyphs-extensions-for-fonts-containing-basic-western-set#latest

…I have a full Latin Pro glyphs set now. In question are the accented glyphs and some other new glyphs.

New glyphs are red, blue and green cells. The Red cells should be allright, blue and green I am unsure. In question are for instance the alignment of dcaron, width of the bar in dcroat, Hbar, hbar, and the like; the positioning of the accents in general.

kgreenlandic is actually a k without ascender, right?

what do you think of the napostrophe?

the accent.case range are accents for capital letters, right? caron.salt and commaaccent.salt are for lowercase use, right?

I’d be glad if you want comment this work.

Comments

• Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited October 2019
    Overall, the font is solid to my eye. Certain glyphs need slight adjustments, I will list them in order here.

• First, make the tilde more pronounced and more undulating.
    • I would make the caron look more like a comma, but that's a design decision.
    • The ring is too light.
    • push the top of the connecting stem of the cedilla a bit to the right. Always balance it with the ogonek. The ogonek has a stem that's somewhat thinner than it should be.

• Aogonek and aogonek are fine, Iogonek, iogonek however needs the ogonek centered, because it is a symmetrical letter.
    • Uogonek has the form you gave it in Navajo and some other scripts - it is not "wrong", but the Polish Uogonek attaches to the right of the letter. The uogonek attaches the ogonek the exact same way as the aogonek provided the bottom right terminal is the same.
    • Dcroat needs the bar centered vertically, because the bowl is vertically symmetrical. Overall, when doing letters with bars, I make the bar slightly thinner so not to clutter the overall color of the letter. It is usually the same thickness as the horizontal stem of A and the macron. This varies from weight to weight and from font to font, however! When making the delicate tbar, make the lower bar slightly shorter on both sides than the top one, its right part extending a little more to the right according to the ductus of LTR writing. Same goes for hbar - you got it right!
    • Greenlandic kra is a shortened k, correct. Also obsolete. Kra is the same as K. I recon something about an apostrophed K, but can't remember it.
    • Dcaron is O.K.
    • hcircumflex is the matter of some debate. I posted a topic about it some time ago. I found it used only in esperanto and from what I gather, the esperanto tribe likes the corcumflex horizontally centered in mid-air. So, to the right of where it is now.
    • naspostrophe was used in Afrikaans. As far as I know, it's now obsolete. For retrofitting purposes, Your version sits fine with me.
    • Imagine the Lcaron as a rectangle. The caron sits, well balanced, at the top right corner.
    • Ldot/ldot were (are?) used in Catalan. When designing them for retrofitting, always add a L or l on the right side and place the dot so to be horizontally in the middle between the vertical stems. Nowadays, this orthographic role is filled by the periodcentered and kerning.
    • Tcedilla and tcedilla are not ysed in Romanian anymore. When used for retrofitting, center the cedilla optically on the hook of the t. T is centered anyway.
    • Omega should be the same weight as the rest of the font
    • When the diacritic has a negative space to go into, push slightly it in - like the Uring/uring.
    • I would push the f-ligatures closer together, but that's a nitpick.

*all of the above applies for the major use of the glyphs. There might be an obscure language, somewhere, where some other version may be right. E.g. I was recently corrected that "obsolete" versions were used for a Himalayan language. But IMPO those are not terribly big markets and there may be some debate even inside the native speakers which version is right for different reasons.

• Dear Vasil, thank you very much for your detailed comments!

• It is my pleasure. :)