Disagree

2»

Comments

• Cory Maylett said:
    don't take them too seriously.
    That's solid advice on an individual level. However if a forum has decided to include a flag type, it has to take abuse of that flag seriously. Because you can't control what people will feel, and some people will succumb to retaliation, creating a toxic environment that harms way more than the mutual antagonists.
  • Cory MaylettCory Maylett Posts: 245
    I agree @Hrant. I don't want to criticize those behind this forum because I don't know the situation. However, yes, moderators or admins, in general, really should take their responsibilities seriously enough to fix errant or inappropriate flags. And when they can't or disagree, they should provide explanations. I mean, that's what moderators are for.
  • So thanks to a Twitter DM to Vanilla Forums, it seems that a forum owner does actually have control of whether or not to show the authors of reactions.

Fingers crossed the vaccine against Feelgoodism will be administered soon.
  • BTW maybe it's just me, but now that you can't see who hit a negative flag, I feel dirty doing it...
  • This question was raised on another thread but in the interest of keeping things on topic: Once again. I don’t know why it doesn’t show which users Disagreed. Moderators have no power to fix this. I’m sure the Administrators, who have more control, have looked into it. If someone wants to follow up, then try messaging them directly, that will get their attention much faster. 
  • Two of our administrators have participated in this thread.
    According to Vanilla: "We do not enable/disable features without customer consent."
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited June 2019
    The drama is killing me. Whodunit?!
    But seriously, if everything you say is accepted without disagreement or flags, this means you are either not growing or that your name is chairman Mao.
  • Indeed. Frankly I'll never get people who think disagreement should be as low as possible.
    http://typedrawers.com/discussion/comment/40858#Comment_40858
  • John SavardJohn Savard Posts: 1,088
    edited June 2019
    But seriously, if everything you say is accepted without disagreement or flags, this means you are either not growing or that your name is chairman Mao.
    This reminds me of a famous cartoon by David Low (actually, Carl Rose), in which a phrase, typically employed by someone who is about to say something that he believes to be obvious or well-known
    "I think I may say, without fear of contradiction..."
    was employed by a similar figure who preceded Chairman Mao by a few years.
  • Any news on this?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Hrant H. Papazian TL;DR: No. 

I can't access Vanilla's support website. We've tried to remedy this. We were told I'd be added a couple of weeks ago, and to my knowledge, it never happened. I checked in a few days ago and haven't gotten a response. 
  • Got in touch with support. They have this to say, "It was never the developers' intention for people that used negative reactions to show up when you hovered over them.  This was patched earlier this year (April or May, I believe). Now, you can only see the users that positively reacted to a post. This protects the people that negatively react to something from retribution from people that might be angry about certain reactions.  There's no way to roll this change back."
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    So now all who click it will become "anonymous cowards" whether they like it or not. :smile:

Of course, you can disagree in a reply if you want credit.
  • So now all who click it will become "anonymous cowards" whether they like it or not. :smile:

I just want to disagree with Mark Simonson but I just can’t do it!  :)
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    I see this thread has yet to end its 15 Minutes of fame ;-)

• I see this thread has yet to end its 15 Minutes of fame ;-)

Hey Chris, it’s titled "Disagree", after all. One of the most fashionable trends in today’s culture!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dyana, thank you for following up and figuring it out.

So sadly my initial hunch was correct. Well, the good news is it's not the fault of anybody here.
    That's always been my sort of thinking too... except when your account becomes limited in how often you can post, so you have to resort to "negative" reactions.