A new transitional typeface needs a name

13»

Comments

• edited February 2019
    Hold on, "evokes its nature" means I think it does matter! When it comes to finding a good name, I tend to hrave about it...
  • edited February 2019
    Henning: Whether it is transitional or not is a question for the learnèd folk, not me. :grimace:
    Personally, I find its detailing quite transitional, what with the very flat serifs and the Times New Roman /e/, but structurally and warmth-wise it reminds me a lot of Mrs Eaves, while the /a/ and /g/ taste of Perpetua. Only the /y/ looks like it might have had a Mai Tai too many... :wink: (I'm exaggerating.)
    Made me giggle. Maybe it was I who had one Mai Tai too many.
    I appreciate your kind words, Christian. Candidates on my list now are:
    • Incus
    • Fialka
    • Concise
    • Lecteur
    We are getting somewhere!
  • As for the lowercase “y”, Christian, I’ll work on it more. Perhaps it just needs a slightly shorter descender, with a tad less swing to it.
    It’s still all work in progress, even though I have a black version in works as well, then come the bold and medium versions, various language diacritics and characters, and finally Italics – a whole other project in itself.
  • Hold on, "evokes its nature" means I think it does matter! When it comes to finding a good name, I tend to hrave about it...
    I don’t want to stretch the author’s comparison for too long, but I do feel like I wrote a compelling story and now the catchy title is escaping me.
  • I like the "y".
    I think the spacing needs work – it's too loose in places.
  • Crysta
    I had “Cerise” in my mind after reading your suggestion. Cheap trick, I know. French always makes everything sound elegant. But I can’t use it anyway, it’s taken.

• edited February 2019
    I promise I’ll wrap this up soon. What do you think of:
    Savoir
    Your comments are welcome.

• Savoir works because Americans are familiar with "savoir faire".
    And according to
    http://namecheck.fontdata.com
    it's not taken! Don't wait too long...  :-)
  • Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,938
    edited February 2019
    As for the lowercase “y”, Christian, I’ll work on it more. Perhaps it just needs a slightly shorter descender, with a tad less swing to it.
    Mostly, it's the swagger in that curved joint that feels out of character. Maybe keep it for the italics?
    Savoir is great!
  • Thanks for all your help, guys. I am very happy with the result and it was worth consulting you. I hope I’ll be able to help as well with anything in the future! Although I fear my experience is eclipsed by yours.