Textured Type

I would like to add some texture to some of my existing brush fonts. I'm wondering how designers deal with the beziers in this case. It's a lot of points and finding things like overlaps and twists is almost impossible. The file size is also a big issue. Looking at some of the highly detailed and textured fonts that have been recently released, makes me wonder if these fonts might cause issues like crashing software, printer problems. Also, what's the best way to autotrace? Any tips or opinions? Thanks for any help!
Tagged:

Comments

• Here's an example of what I'm working on. This is a close up of the points. What I've noticed is points on top of each other, shapes with only two points (I think 3 is the minimum isn't it?) and just outright wrong.
  • Converting curves to straight lines might just work with what I'm working on. What I've decided to do is create an art brush with texture in illustrator. Shape the texture around the letters, then expand and minus front. I could create the brushes with straight lines only and weed out any 2 point shapes to begin with. Beziers with no arms would probably have less bytes, maybe? Thanks Ray! Oh! I saw your color font experiment, it's exciting!
  • Jess LathamJess Latham Posts: 37
    Just curious if anyone knows at what kb does a font file become too large and start to become buggy for TT or OT? I read something about a Chinese character font that crashes the browser when it's used. What's the tipping point number? Thanks for any help!
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,732
    It isn't some set size in kb, and the breakpoints depend on the rasterizer and its available memory, and how that implementation deals with things.

I seem to remember in the early days of OpenType seeing some issues testing one or two of the more complex Adobe OT fonts on one or two really old PostScript output devices with very low amounts of RAM. If I recall correctly, in the end there wasn't much we could do about it and we put some note in the readme.
  • @Jess Latham I could help you texturize all your fonts in no time for a very reasonable price. If you are interested, come and find me on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/kateliev) send me a message and we could discuss it.
    @Thomas Phinney Thanks for the tip! I guess I will just put my font to the test and see how it holds up.
    @Vassil Kateliev I'm having too much fun to let anyone else do it, but thanks for the offer, hehe.
  • Since I find the matter very interesting, I might steal the topic a little:

How much time do you guys spend making a textured typeface and what is your usual workflow - for example TypeDesign program >copy> Illustrator >copy> TypeDesign program or TypeDesign program + Import Bitmap Texture + Autotrace and etc. Are you satisfied with your workflow or you find the work tedious? How long does it take you developing (lest say) a 500 character typeface, presuming that 1/2 of it is composite characters.
    In the early punk days (lol) I always just autoscanned and thought nothing else about it. It was freeware and if it didn't work, well, so what. When I finish my latest textured font I'll give a run down of the process and how long it takes me.
  • Beau WilliamsonBeau Williamson Posts: 80
    edited May 2017
    There is a good script for removing points on top of each other in Illustrator. (Remove Redundant Points). You should use that before moving your shapes. I used to keep a copy of CS2 on my machine specifically for expanding brushes etc. because it did such a better job than all later versions (including CC). When you hit the shape with 'unite' in the Illustrator pathfinder, that gets rid of overlaps.
  • Duh, forget to link to the finished font, Head Turn: http://www.bvfonts.com/fonts/details.php?id=99
  • MyFonts was unfortunately having technical issues and I was not able to release it there until 3 months later. It didn't chart at all and sold very few copies early on. Possibly because the amount of fonts in the new section at the time was more than average and pushed it down the list faster. It has picked up a little momentum since then.

I am very happy for you, I also had to wait long, and this gives me hope that my debut font there will pick up momentum too after my current sales :) 

Polygons are the way to go with textures, they are both too small to see and very forgiving on the file size. :) When we did our bestseller Nexa Rusted, every glyph went through my hands so it can get less detailed and more light. I had to also care that no grunge touches the contour, because there was also a solid version. ;)
  • When we did our bestseller Nexa Rusted, every glyph went through my hands so it can get less detailed and more light. I had to also care that no grunge touches the contour, because there was also a solid version. ;)

Nexa Rust has amazing texture. How many hours do you think it took to add texture to the whole family?
  • Vasil StanevVasil Stanev Posts: 759
    edited August 2018
    My collegue at the time, Tinkov (currently N1 in MyFonts bestsellers), came up with an A. Illustrator Technique for that (asphalt texture+threshold+inner glow or shadow to isolate the edges. Then auto-trace. This is as far as I remember) . After that it was a simple matter of cleaning up the edges. I have noted every hour of my work there, but the notes are buried somewhere in the boxes while moving. It gave me a sense of control, but it was a false feeling.

Currently my namesake Kataliev has a good programming way to roughen a font, and he has used it for his font families. My personal opinion is that textured fonts are (came to be) just a trend, but the technology is now goodly developed.

It took me tens of man-hours, I imagine. I do not do such statistics any more.

:)