Create metric-equivalent font

2»

Comments

• notdefnotdef Posts: 168
    edited July 2018
    I, and I suspect many with me, consider horisontal metrics intellectual property. The recent X Grotesk with matching metrics to a certain German type designer’s high profile sans serif definitely affected my opinion of the publisher/designer in question.
  • Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    edited July 2018
    My personal opinion: The whole concept of intellectual property is inherently misleading. Copyright, patent, trademark and other monopoly rights have different reasons to exist, histories, lengths, global uniformity/variation, etc etc, and have very little in common. It is impossible to reason about "ip" because it isn't a single thing, the concept attempts to link together such disparate things but because they are so different, nothing makes sense. For example:

"a certain German type designer’s high profile sans serif"

I think you mean a certain American software corporation's sans serif, that was made as work for hire by a certain Dutch designer living in Germany. 

Which is to say, I think the concept of ownership is not as simple as some people like to make out, especially for intangibles.

"The dead guys stole all our best ideas"
    I think you mean a certain American software corporation's sans serif, that was made as work for hire by a certain Dutch designer living in Germany. 

No. But I wouldn’t be surprised if there are more cases like this.

"The dead guys stole all our best ideas"

Bury me!

edited July 2018
    No need for splitting hairs about terminology. It is not hard to grasp the basic shittiness of pretending someone else’s work is yours. 
    edited July 2018
    … and reusing someone else’s work without permission.
  • Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    "It is not hard to grasp the basic shittiness of pretending someone else’s work is yours."

It's also not hard to grasp the basic shittiness of restricting other people's natural freedoms.

When we have irreconcilable differences, we have laws to balance our interests, and that's why caring about the details is not merely splitting hairs about terminology and really matters :)