Royalty rates offered by various font retailers

Hello!

I'm conducting some research on the royalty rates offered by various font retailers and I need your help to complete the list below. Although I know the % offered by some of the popular distributors (as ITF fonts are available there), I don't have information about the rest. I'd appreciate if someone (who are offering their fonts from these channels) could help me complete this list.

• MyFonts: 50%
  • Fontshop: 50%
  • Fonts.com: 50%
  • Linotype: 50%
  • Fontspring: 70%
  • Fontstand: 50%
  • Creative Market:70%
  • Adobe Typekit:
  • Type Network: 
  • You Work For Them:
  • FontHaus: 
  • Village: 
  • Font Bros: 
  • Hype For Type: 
  • Phil's Fonts: 
  • Type.co.uk: 

If I've missed any retailer, please let me know. 

Thank you! 
Satya

Comments

• Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    edited June 2018
    Fonthaus: 50%
    Hype For Type: 50%
    Font Bros: 65%
    Type.co.uk: 50%

Adobe Typekit: A mix of flat annual subscription and a percentage of overage fees. You can't compare side-by-side with the others.
  • AzizMostafa AzizAliAzizMostafa AzizAli Posts: 103
    edited June 2018
    Unique and dynamic right to left fonts that can be explored by clicking on their images.

• Paulo GoodePaulo Goode Posts: 16
    edited June 2018
    YWFT are 50% too.
  • satyasatya Posts: 17
    Thank you, @Ray Larabie

Adobe Typekit: A mix of flat annual subscription and a percentage of overage fees. You can't compare side-by-side with the others. 

I was actually curious about Typekit because it's hard to calculate royalties from a subscription. So if no one use (or buy) your fonts through Typekit, you don't get paid at all? 
    Unique and dynamic right to left fonts that can be explored by clicking on their images.

Hi @Az@AzizMostafa,
    do you know who runs http://maryamsoft.com? I can't search because it's all in Arabic. 
  • AzizMostafa AzizAliAzizMostafa AzizAli Posts: 103
    edited June 2018
    Hi Satya,
    To see who is who and what is what, please right click on http://maryamsoft.com/ to translate into English.

So if no one use (or buy) your fonts through Typekit, you don't get paid at all? 
    It's a fixed annual rate for each font (paid out annually) whether or not the font is used. If a font is used on a site that goes beyond a subscriber's allotted pageviews (overage), that user is charged extra and I get some of that. Overage payments are paid out quarterly.
    So if no one use (or buy) your fonts through Typekit, you don't get paid at all? 
    It's a fixed annual rate for each font (paid out annually) whether or not the font is used. If a font is used on a site that goes beyond a subscriber's allotted pageviews (overage), that user is charged extra and I get some of that. Overage payments are paid out quarterly.
    Unless it’s confidential, do you mind sharing how much is that for each font/family annually? Also, do they have a fixed rate for everyone or it’s negotiable? I tried to look this info on their website but couldn’t find anything. But it looks like it’s quite complex.

I wrote them back in 2014 to include ITF fonts but they never responded to my email. 
    Thank for sharing these details @JoyceKetterer! This is quite insightful. 

• You could bundle MyFonts, Fontshop, Fonts.com, and Linotype because signing a distribution contract with Monotype automatically includes all four sites (at the same rate).
    Unless it’s confidential.
    It is. I signed on months before Typekit launched so it's likely not the same as what they offer everyone.
  • 3. Sync (adobe customers don't pay for this directly.  It is part of their cloud account.  Foundries are paid based on the number of end user accounts that include the fonts to their "sync" each month.

As an end user I’ve always been a bit curious about this. If I use a particular font (e.g.) four times in a month, does it matter from your revenue standpoint whether I sync the font once and leave it synced all month vs. if I sync and unsync it four times?
    Unless it’s confidential.
    No worries. 
    It is. I signed on months before Typekit launched so it's likely not the same as what they offer everyone.
    MyFonts used to offer up-to 85% royalties at some point but now it's flat 50% for everyone, including the ones who joined them before the acquisition. 

• André G. Isaak said:
    As an end user I’ve always been a bit curious about this. If I use a particular font (e.g.) four times in a month, does it matter from your revenue standpoint whether I sync the font once and leave it synced all month vs. if I sync and unsync it four times?
    I just saw your question.  I really don't know the answer to this question because, as I understand it, the system is built with the assumption that end users will add a font to sync and leave it there indefinitely.  Most users do have a limit to the number of fonts they can add but it's always pretty high and there's no more incentive to remove a font from your sync then there is to delete emails in gmail.  

If your scenario is resulting in us getting paid four times it's a loop hole that Adobe isn't going to care about because that end user behavior is uncommon.
  • @satya Font Bros pays 65% royalties on all sales regardless if it's OEM, Desktop, Web, etc.
  • satya said:
    MyFonts used to offer up-to 85% royalties at some point but now it's flat 50% for everyone, including the ones who joined them before the acquisition. 
    I still get my original royalty rate on desktop fonts with MyFonts from when I signed on in 2000, even though I signed up with Monotype a few years ago.

• Dave RowlandDave Rowland Posts: 39
    edited July 2018
    I still get my original royalty rate on desktop fonts with MyFonts from when I signed on in 2000, even though I signed up with Monotype a few years ago.

You get more than 50%? If that's true I don't think MyFonts would like you broadcasting it. When my royalty rate dropped I was told they could no longer "grandfather" old rates. I assumed this was the same for all foundries. If not, then there are going to be a lot of us who have lost thousands of $ because of the royalty change, but I imagine if there are still foundries on old deals they're not likely to let on.

edited July 2018
    @David Vereschagin, would you allow me to distribute our fonts under your foundry on MyFonts? When you receive royalty payments, you can keep 10% of it and pay me the rest, :D 
  • Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    https://venturebeat.com/2018/07/12/fortnite-creator-epic-gives-unreal-asset-creators-a-raise-and-backpay/

Interesting what happens when there is more competition in a marketplace.....
  • Sorry I missed this thread, but Joyce has done such a nice job of explaining our model, there's not much more left for me to say. Thanks Joyce! If we got any of this stuff right, it's partially because of all your help over the years.

I'd prefer not to spill out more details publicly, since they are subject to change. I'll just say that we intend for our terms to be the most favorable to designers among retailers. If you'd like more information, you can write foundries@typekit.com.

As Joyce illustrates, we're getting pretty good at licensing type to individual customers at a massive scale. However, we don't offer volume, custom, embedding, or other licenses -- nothing beyond the desktop + web license that a typical individual Creative Cloud user is likely to need. Addressing the most common needs of our individual users is our focus.

Adobe wins when our users discover the power that great type has to transform their work using our tools. It makes them successful, which makes us successful -- more than we could ever be from taking your type and marking it up. 

Hopefully this puts us in a position to be the best partner possible to the industry. We might not always get that 100% exactly perfect, and we have certainly had some trouble keeping up with our extraordinary growth, but we are trying like heck. 

--Matthew