Tallone Reserve of Punches (via Antonio Cavedoni)

If you're into hot metal (and I don't mean that cheap stuff) don't miss the jaw-dropping series by Antonio Cavedoni on Twitter. I think this is the first one:

And my favorite shot is probably this:
https://tallonepress.smugmug.com/Tallone-typeface-Carattere-Tallone/i-qbNDdgh/A

Comments

• Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Not to nitpick, but isn’t this cold metal, Hrant? Hot metal would have been Linotype, Monotype, et al. I’ve met oldtimers with the burn scars on their forearms to prove it. ;-)

But yeah, gorgeous stuff.

• John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    There was a hot metal version of the Tallone type, manufactured by Monotype in the US for the Max Factor cosmetics company. This was recorded in the Lanston archives as 'Tallone Max Factor'. The early serial number of that design was one of the oddities that Mike Parker noted in his APHS article on Times New Roman.
  • Kent Lew said:
    Not to nitpick, but isn’t this cold metal, Hrant? Hot metal would have been Linotype, Monotype, et al. I’ve met oldtimers with the burn scars on their forearms to prove it. ;-)
    Yes, hence my "not that cheap stuff" – I was using "hot" in the other sense.  :-)

BTW you can of course burn yourself making foundry type too! Fond memories of when I did Jim Rimmer's day-long private workshop and he showed off by quickly dipping his finger in liquid type metal...
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    Did Jim also tell you the story about what happens if you neglect to stir the pot regularly? I can't remember if it was him or his friend who was hit in the back of the head by a big dollop of molten lead.
  • Good thing he'd turned his back.
  • Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Ah, I didn’t pick up on your dig against the casters. :-D