Limited character set text generator

Does anyone know of a text (or pseudo-text) generator where you can limit the character set (to some subset of the Latin alphabet, that is)?

(The problem with taking a full character set text and deleting unwanted letters is that you quickly end up with too many short or even one letter words, so the result doesn't have the pattern of an actual text.)

Comments

• Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Matthew Butterick put this simple tool together a long time ago. Words, not text.

Miguel Sousa constructed this one. If you click on Options, you can change scripts even.
  • Ori Ben-DorOri Ben-Dor Posts: 383
    Great, thanks, I'll check them out.
  • Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    There is also this one, from Tim Ahrens. 
    Thanks to you too!
  • This is what I wrote for myself:
    from __future__ import print_function
    import random

list = ['a', 'b', 'c', 'd', 'e', 'f', 'g', 'h', 'i', 'j', 'k', 'l', 'm', 'n', 'o', 'p', 'q', 'r', 's', 't', 'u', 'v', 'w', 'x', 'y', 'z', ' ']

for n in range(70):
    	random.shuffle(list)
    	for n in list:
    		print(n, end='')

• There is also Typable by Ondrej Jób.
  • Dave CrosslandDave Crossland Posts: 1,389
    Cyreal.org/testing (a mirror of the impallari.com/testing page) also has one I think
    Great, thanks!
  • There is also Typable by Ondrej Jób.
    Wow, that one is fantastic, didn't know about it!

I've coded a somewhat related CLI script that you feed UFO and TXT files and it outputs strings of specific length, ideal for finding those nice specimen words of different weights with same font size and length. Aside from reading the available glyphs from the UFO and filtering the possible words by that it also has options for excluding / including letters and letter combinations.