Facebook hates type designers

Facebook has a rule for ad images: no more that 20% of the image can be text. As a type designer, there's mot much imagery I can post that Facebook wouldn't consider as more than 20% text. I suppose I could post pictures of kittens now and then but I can't show images of what I've made, what I'm working on or what my fonts have been used for. When setting up promotions for images, there's an option to appeal the rejection but I've tried and failed every time. I've complained many times and only once received a response. They recommended posting images with less than 20% text. Not so helpful. I imagine sign painters, logo designers and calligraphers probably have the same problem. I have an ad budget I'd like to use for Facebook ads. I buy ads for my non-font ventures and I find they're very effective.

Has anyone here encountered this problem? Heard any responses from Facebook? Any tricks to get around this?
Tagged:

Comments

• SiDanielsSiDaniels Posts: 277
    As I recall Jan Middendorp has complained about this on FB and may have had a reply from https://www.facebook.com/scottboms
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    I have had this exact cycle of events! Once, when  I asked them what image should I post, someone replied "Show your product"
  • I always write a request to review my add and they always, sooner or later, publish it. It is annoying, I know. It looks like noone is reading your arguments. They are all bots!
  • Ramiro EspinozaRamiro Espinoza Posts: 839
    edited April 2018
    Many of my type releases adds have been rejected in the past and but some managed to evade the rule. What I find more disturbing is the fraude of Facebook click farms. When you put some money in promoting a banner quite frequently, beside some legitimate clicks, you start getting clicks from teens with profiles with no relation whatsoever to the world of design or typography. They always come at the end of the day when there is still some money in the pot. So this is the fraudulent Facebook scheme: the money you put will be always spent because if not enough people clicked, their click monkeys will come to take it. 
    If I am paying for an ad of my product, I should not have to trick the bot to get it approved.
  • @Ramiro Espinoza I looked into this. The click farms are not run by facebook. That would ruin their own business model. They are companies you can hire to get more likes or followers on your own facebook page. However, fb has a detection algorythm to prevent such activities, which the clickfarms evade by liking random stuff, so as to seem like a normal person to the algorythm. So ironically, type ads only get fake likes, because fb wants to prevent fake likes from occuring.
  • If I am paying for an ad of my product, I should not have to trick the bot to get it approved.
    True, but what you gonna do?
    I quit paying, Jasper.
  • SiDanielsSiDaniels Posts: 277
    Chris, how will Cambridge Analytica learn about your fonts then? ;-)
    Si, they already hate me because of my Flickr page ;-)
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    FontLab has certainly run into this problem.