A straight version of Abraham: Bram

2»

Comments

• Hmmm — how about combining the vertical cut of the narrow /J with the width of the wide one? I'm wondering whether it's actually the protruding point of that /J that makes me think of gratuitous white space, whereas I don't see that in /L. Another possibility would be to pull the tail through a full half-circle.
  • "Or is that a trick of the eye?"

Tricks of the eye are what type design is made of, so you best not ignore them. If they look too thin, they are too thin. Although, stroke thickness is not everything. The middle diagonals in W are usually thinner to keep the overall color of the W right.

• Tricks of the eye are what type design is made of, so you best not ignore them.
    +1

Maybe contextual alternates for /J? Something wider with a shallower angle after /P, and something narrower with a steeper angle after /I /E and such (probably the normal form, since this would work better after /Y than the wider/flatter would after /E).

• Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 689
    How about adding a serif to the top of the J? Might be a bad choice given the friendly and innocent look of the face, would make it less infantile/joyfull and more serious.
  • S – still too week in the central part, overall too small
    N – too dark
    R – a little too dark in the middle
    O – left and right part seem too light
    W – too dark, technically too symetric
    Y – too light

… overall it’s a nice design, I would stick too the original shapes.
  • sorry, I meant weak, of course :s
  • Adam JagoszAdam Jagosz Posts: 689
    edited April 2018
    And I meant joyful :<