C. M. T. (suite)

Hello TypeDrawers,

Here's an update to the C. M. T. typeface, that I already posted here a while ago.

Following advice from members of this forum, I've condensed certain letters (e. g.: A, R) in order to try to reduce the gaps that sometimes form between letter pairs (I might do the same with other letters, such as the X).

I've also corrected some rebel letters (the original U was too large) so they fit better in the rest of the design, and stabilized the contrast of letters such as the C, G and S. Other letters, such as the A and the G, have been redrawn.

What do you think ?

Thanks in advance for your corrections!

Comments

• Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    It's looking wonderful. Maybe give the D's counter a similar egg shape as a the P and R.
  • Hello Ray Larabie, Thank you for your encouragements. At a certain moment in time, the D had a loop at the top such as the P and the R, but I thought it looked weird (see picture below where the curves don't look very neat), but I might work again on that former version until I'm happy with the result.

• Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,731
    Even in context when I know what letter it ought to be, the C just does not look enough like a C, to me. Maybe open the aperture a little more? Right now the cap O has just as much an opening.
  • Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    Better.
  • Hello Thomas Phinney,

The C is probably the most atypical and idiosyncratic character of the typeface, but I agree that, on its own, it's not easy to identify (it almost looks like a G)... so I'm thinking of creating a version that would be more open, and keeping the original version as a weird alternate. Thank you for your feedback.
  • Agree about the 'C'. Also, the 'M' seems a bit dark. Maybe it can be opened a tad, even widened. I see the cross-bar of the 'H' as too thick, but wouldn't want to make more whitespace in the character, so.... not sure.
    Fun face!
  • Hello Beau Williamson,
    The stems of the M are exactly the same of that of the H, but I see what you mean, the contrast can be improved by opening/widening the counters a bit.
    As for the H, I don't think I'll change the bar, or only a iota, if ever.
    Thank you for your feedback !
  • I like your typeface! Are the different weights of the legs between /K and /R  correct?

• Hello Arne Freytag,
    Thanks ! For the legs, I should fix that, indeed. Originally, the right leg of the R was thinner / longer, but because it created a big gap in the upper half of the text line when combined with other letters, I had to shorten it... but now it's too wide as a result. Good catch!