The design of Ŋ in high-contrast typefaces

I am interested in knowing your thoughts about the design of uppercase eng when it comes to high-contrast typefaces. I have found different approaches when using the uppercase N as the base character. In most typefaces the hook of the ‘Ŋ’ resembles that one in the ‘J’. Some of them use the thickness of the stem in ‘N’ (e.g. Le Jeune Text) and some others use the thickness of the stem in ‘J’ (e.g. Abril). I guess both of them are OK, as long as they are recognised by the reader. Which one would you say is more appropriate?

Comments

• The approach taken by Abril seems strange to me. I view the hook as a continuation of the right vertical stem; thus it should have the same width as that stem.

André
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    In modern designs I use the thickness of the J and treat it as a continuation of the diagonal. Giving it the hairline stroke of the vertical looks weird to me, more like a degenerate swash than part of a letter.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    I view the hook as a continuation of the right vertical stem; thus it should have the same width as that stem.
    Yes, that is the normal ductus of the letter.

• Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    An interesting question.
    Capital /Y/, while obviously not identical, offers a bent-stem precedent for the thicker option.
    Maybe the depth of the descenders might enter into the consideration too. 
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    ...and openness to raising the join above the baseline. 
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    I can imagine a ductus in which the two uprights are written first, and then the hook is formed from a curled continuation of the diagonal stroke.
  • María RamosMaría Ramos Posts: 100
    edited March 2018
    I can see both making for a coherent design. At first sight, the thick stem of the hook may look weird coming from the thin vertical of the N. However, if we think of other characters like Y —as @Craig Eliason mentioned— or the G, which seems to be originally the base shape of the Ŋ, the thick stem of the hook makes sense.
  • Alex KaczunAlex Kaczun Posts: 163
    IMHO, in this particular typeface design—this particular solution to the Eng looks best. Instead of just sticking the hook to the bottom of the N—shape it better for overall aesthetics, as illustrated on the right.