Freitag — toying around with a geometric display sans

14567810»

Comments

• Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,938
    edited August 2017
    I actually moved the /Q_u ligatures to DLIG in the Text cut but forgot that the CALT feature still cycles in the long-tailed versions. I've added a custom parameter to the Text instances now that overwrites CALT to remove the /Q dynamics. The long Q is still available as Q.swsh.
  • Just to go back to the ascender+descender=upm. That is a recommendation and no technical requirement. I never saw a problem with a font that didn't follow it.
    edited August 2017
    Somehow I like the Medium two-storey /a less than the Hairline and the Black. Any idea what the problem could be? I've tinkered on it quite a bit, but I haven't figured it out yet.

• I would say the middle bar extends too far to the left, especially on top, but it's a hunch.
  • I guess the binocular «a»'s natural non-geometriness is being exposed.
  • i find that Q anachronistic. Cute tho
  • Finally relaxed the midstroke of that two-storey /a a bit. I held on to that horizontal piece for too long.

I'm also exporting a new font style: Quinoa Text SC, offering small-caps to go along with the diagonals of Quinoa Text.

• After having my tastes tempered by the forum consensus, I now find my original Quinoa /Germandbls/ too wide, like everybody else did when I drew it. :grimace: So I made a narrower one for the text cut, and a descending one for the display. The display is still pretty wide, but so are the other descending caps, like /G/.

edited January 2021
    Hm, or this for the display cut, or at least the round cut? It's freaky, but perhaps the right kind of freaky?

• Remind us again of what the rest of that style looks like. 
    edited January 2021
    And here are the Round variants:

Maybe descenderless would actually work for the Round:

It's usually a no-go, but here I think it might fit. It resists being cast as a /B/ rather well:

edited January 2021
    Hmmm, the Sulzbach form doesn't meet with approval on the German forums...
    I think I can make the default form a bit more geometric by raising the roof to horizontal and clipping off the corner to match the /Z/:
    I've also tried it without descender, but then it just feels too small overall between all those intimidating oversized caps:

• I think that geometrification works well. Descender version strikes me as very /beta-ish. 
  • I'm aware that the descender looks unconventional, but it fits the unicase flavor and generally BIG optics of the titling cut.
    However, I was just about to transfer the new design to the italics when I suddenly felt it was a step back from the domed design. It's perhaps a bit less geometric, but more humanist, which is also important for Quinoa. Its dome plays very well with the many other round tops in the titling cut. I'm tempted to stick with it after all (bottom):

edited January 2021
    Toying with some flat-topped alternates for the sake of people with the wrong taste. :grimace:
    I do think the descender helps make the eszett recognizable, even if the hard right corner does everything it can to spoil it... if anything, I'll add that one (as an alternate).

Though it works surprisingly well as an alternate for the Text Cut: