Font Book's "Sample" preview in Mountain Lion

It shows the alphabet of the location you're in. In my case it shows only Lithuanian letters. Which means I can't see Q, W and X.

Any idea how to return to the old behavior?

Comments

• Found the fix - change "Preferred language" in System Preferences.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    What is the preferred position of the ogonek in Iogonek?
    Centered, or over to the left as shown in Neris?
    Or does it matter?
  • Karl StangeKarl Stange Posts: 38
    edited February 2013
    What is the preferred position of the ogonek in Iogonek?
    This guide from the diacritics web site is fairly informative, if not definitive.

http://diacritics.typo.cz/index.php?id=20

There is also a thread dedicated to this discussion on Typophile:

http://typophile.com/node/39060
  • Generally, it should not go out farther than letter's right side.
    That contradicts the Diacritics web site, which says that, “the accent is never placed at the centre of the character (with the exception of į / Į…)”.
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    I/i ogonek is often problematic in sans serif fonts. In serif fonts, one can attach it at the tip of the right serif, which causes the bowl to sit naturally on the width of the letter. In sans serif, though, there is no option but to attach it to the lower right corner of the vertical, which means that it often protrudes too far to the left, making the diacritic look imbalanced.

Options: modify the ogonek shape for I/i, making it narrower so that it does not protrude too far to the left. Allow it to protrude a little to the right, but not too far. Another option, for the lowercase, would be to add a rightwards terminal to the letter stroke and attach the ogonek to this; this option seems particularly valid in a typeface in which the lowercase l already has such an exit terminal, as in Neris.
    It seems that there is no one correct answer.
    That’s how it is with the acute accent, which may be either centered over a letter like “o” or positioned to the right so that it seems to spring up from its bottom point, with the beginning of its stroke centered.