Web Fonts Guide

Thierry BlancpainThierry Blancpain Posts: 201
edited October 2017 in Miscellaneous News
Today we released a a guide for using web fonts that we’ve created over the last few months. It covers the basics as well as more advanced topics – the required HTML & CSS for self-hosted fonts, activating kerning and other OpenType features, letter- and word-spacing, font rendering, and so on.

We’d appreciate your feedback!

Comments

• Re letter-spacing, I have to say that I’m yet to see a web page where letter spacing is used that does not make the text uncomfortable to read. I don’t claim to have a good eye for spacing (the only time I tried to space Latin glyphs the result was horrible), but I can’t count the times I’m reading a random web page and wondering why this text looks shitty, opening the browser dev tools to find that letter spacing is used, disabling it and all good again. So I’d rather have a strong warning about fiddling with letter spacing.
  • How about: you probably don’t notice it when it’s well done? 
    Good typography is largely subvisible, not something people have to notice to be affected by. Otherwise: we have enough text fonts...
    Sure, that is a possibility. The point is, it is an often misused tool. I don’t notice web pages misusing word space, or line height, or smallcaps or whatever, so IMHO it is plausible that letter-space is often misused.

• Agreed that bad letterspacing is common, and sucks. But I am all for careful, subtle tracking of the typeface when it is used at a size significantly different than its design size.
  • Very good effort, and very approachable information.

Regarding letter spacing I think oftentimes the problem is web developers adjusting tracking in full pixels, which is almost always too coarse. It's great to see the example uses fractions of em values.
  • is TTF still valid for app embedding?
  • is TTF still valid for app embedding?
    If you want to support Android devices older than 4.4, OTF/TTF is your best choice. Otherwise WOFF will do.