Funky Italics

Hey folks,

Italics tend to offer more room for creativity and surprising solutions. I'm looking for examples of funky italics in book typefaces. For example...

- The rotated stress in Adobe Caslon's o
- Garalda's f and g and v and everything
- Scala's y
- Dolly's ll ligature

Cheers,

Jasper

Comments

• Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    Goudy’s Companion (custom for the Woman’s Home Companion magazine, 1927). It’s never been revived, AFAIK.
    I used the principle in Oneleigh and Panoptica.

• Cochin; the d, v and h in particular.
    Galliard; very lively rhythm, the pelican-beak g.
    Not really a book face, but Ludlow Tempo’s italic is peculiar because it’s a 1930s geometric sans-serif but the italic isn't a mechanical oblique. It has several features that suggest handwriting, like the lowercase letters that tail off in a slab serif.
  • Craig EliasonCraig Eliason Posts: 1,397
    edited October 2017
    Delphin's y (Maybe not a "book face.")
  • funky italics in book typefaces
    To me: oxymoron alert!  :-)
    But funky italics on their own, I'm all eyes.
  • @Hrant H. Papazian
    Legibility isn't everything, you know. Nobody notices that their reading is a few milliseconds slower, but they might just notice the liveliness of a page. Also, being funky serves a purpose: to stand out from the non-funky regular.
  • @Jasper de Waard I certainly agree that readability isn't everything; beyond a certain minimum it only matters for longer texts. My concern is exactly standing out too much, essentially contradicting the reason the Roman was chosen. BTW the Roman itself could be "lively".