Are OTF fonts from Glyphs broken on Windows?

2»

Comments

• That seems to be a bug in WordPad. I can get an .otf to work fine in Notepad but not in WordPad. I’m trying to install Word in my VM right now, but that is an great example of why I like to be on the Mac. The Office website is a mess and will ask me to buy what I already have.
  • I managed to get Word to install. And the font works fine there. So it seems that WordPad is to blame here.
  • What’s weirder is that if â but ẩ are adjacent the first â will also fall back when the hook is added to the second â.
    Vietnamese input is idiosyncratic, due to some novelties of the vowel system. When two vowels are adjacent (i.e., diphthong), which vowel actually gets the tone marker for the syllable varies according to different typographic conventions (“old-style” or “modern-style”).

So there may be things going on under the hood of a given keyboard to accommodate this, and this may cause unexpected behavior when you’re testing otherwise nonsense sequences like âẩ — perhaps it is treating the two as a diphthong, and so setting both to the same [fallback] font. Just a thought.

(But this wouldn’t explain your other broken behaviors, so it’s probably a red herring.)
  • Thanks for all the help. I’m going to write this off as Wordpad being buggy and release the fonts.
  • People actually use WordPad? Sorry.

I'm not sure how many people use WordPad, but regardless it might still be useful for testing since WordPad is a wrapper around the RichEdit control, which is quite widely used in Windows and Office, including Office on other OS platforms.

I should make a qualification: I don't know enough details to know if code paths used in WordPad are distinct. RichEdit was originally built using GDI, but later revised to enable use of other text code that Office uses across platforms. I'm not sure to what extent WordPad is using GDI-only code paths.
    Can we open a deliverable to deprecate WordPad completely?
  • But than there is not build in app that can handle rich tech editing. On the Mac, TextEdit handles both, the plain text editing and simple rich text. I would expect the same feature set on windows, too.
  • But than there is not build in app that can handle rich tech editing. On the Mac, TextEdit handles both, the plain text editing and simple rich text. I would expect the same feature set on windows, too.
    Maybe we can integrate VSCode...
    It supports Markdown, you know...