"Modern Calligraphy" Experts

Who are the living masters and mistresses of the "Modern Calligraphy" style of type?

Comments

• John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    Not sure what the term means. Examples?
  • Yes, it can be a jarring term...  :-)
    But its meaning is rather well-defined now.
    I think this is an archetypical example: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/laura-worthington/adorn/
    In particular the Pomander and Garland styles there.
    Hmm. I don't think the term is at all well-defined, especially since it is one that has been in use to describe different things over at least a century. I have several books on 'modern calligraphy', and all the term indicates is calligraphy that was current at the time the books were published.

I'd favour a more specifically descriptive term if talking about a particular style of letter and associated types. In the case of the script components of Laura's Adorn family, I would characterise these as informal, rapid, or loose roundhand.
  • From my limited perception, the spark for the recent explosion in 'informal scripts' was Carolyna Pro Black by Emily Conners, released in 2011: http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/emily-lime/carolyna-pro-black/

Still my favourite of this variety of script as well. 
  • Both Laura and Emily are at the top of my favorites in this genre. Own several from of both of them (more of Laura's).  For purely drawn delight, I believe Laura's nudges out Emily's of my top spot.
    Most of Debi Sementelli's work also falls into this category.

@duncanmajor's 'informal script' is a reasonable term.
  • Great stuff guys – keep it coming!
  • Hmm. I don't think the term is at all well-defined, especially since it is one that has been in use to describe different things over at least a century.
    Sure. I meant MyFonts. :->  Just put "modern calligraphy" (in quotes) in the search...
  • I agree wholeheartedly that Laura Worthington, Emily Conners and Debi Sementelli are masters of this genre. I might add Ale Paul to the list, although his style is just a little different....
  • Are there any Cyrillic fonts in this style?
  • Basileus by Vera Eustafieva.
    I wouldn't put Basileus in this category at all: it references formal book hands of a much older period. It's not informal and it's not a script type.

A few examples of Cyrillic types in the informal script style (no comment on quality or endorsement—I've not examined closely or tried to work with any of these):

Madelyn by Jacklina Jekova and Svetoslav Simov

Lifehack by Veneta Rangelova

Veryberry Pro by Elena Genova

TT Lovelies Script by Ivan Gladikh
  • The guys from Resistenza also have some good ones to add to this "modern calligraphy" style you are talking about. Some of my favourites are Mentha and Timberline http://www.myfonts.com/foundry/Resistenza/
  • Stefan PeevStefan Peev Posts: 92
    edited August 2017
    I'm not sure that I'm the right person to participate in this discussion. My personal opinion is that it is not a calligraphy, it's a handwriting. So I do agree with John Hudson that there must be another term – for me it could be stylized handwriting. On the other hand the stylized handwriting could pretend to look more calligraphic (and in this way I think we have formal stylized handwriting) or to look more loosely (informal stylized handwriting).

Celestina for example is a formal stylized handwriting (like Lemon Tuesday also). But Zhizn is an informal stylized handwriting.

And here is an example of unstylized handwriting: