Options

Cyrillics I really need to bother with

2»

Comments

• Options
    I was actually considering a mixture of the factors which you mention. Combining acute is used to indicate stress (for example, the Russian wikipedia includes this for proper names), but it is also needed for everyday Montenegrin orthography. In addition, a number of minority languages (various Turkic, Caucasian, and Eskimo-Aleut languages) make use of accented characters which aren’t included as precomposed characters in unicode.

Because finding information on all minority languages which use Cyrillic would be a daunting task, I'd say the safest route would be to include all the standard combining accents.

At one point I’d started an open-ended list of accented characters used in minority languages (primarily Latin and Cyrillic) which aren’t included in unicode as precomposed characters, but I can't seem to locate it. A few examples, though, would include er + caron (used in Nivkh), reversed E + dotaccent (used in Nenets) and a + ring (used in Selkup).

If I can find the list I’d assembled I’ll post it here.

André
  • Options
    Josh_FJosh_F Posts: 52
    At one point I’d started an open-ended list of accented characters used in minority languages (primarily Latin and Cyrillic) which aren’t included in unicode as precomposed characters, but I can't seem to locate it
    Thanks for all the info André! If you end up finding this list, I think many people on the forum would end up benefiting. Obviously no pressure though if you can't find it.
  • Options
    Josh: If at the minimum you include the combining marks, even without positioning info, that is better than leaving them out of the font.