Numerals

One moment I think 6 & 9 are too wide or their bowls are too large, the next moment I think they're just about the right size. (When I tested narrower/smaller versions, it was the opposite: one moment I thought it was too narrow/small, the next moment it looked to me alright.)

What do you think?

Other comments are welcome as well.

Comments

• Looks like 0 and 8 might be a bit too narrow.
  • Ori Ben-DorOri Ben-Dor Posts: 383
    I'll play with it, thanks.
  • I rather thought 4 might be a bit wide. Nice and chunky shapes though.
    I'll look into that too, thanks.
    4/5/6/9 have become a bit narrower.
    0/3/8 a bit wider.
  • The interesting construction of the 4 isn't echoed anywhere else. Maybe the beak of the 1 is flat, rather than curved? 
  • If your opinion is alternating it means it's right on.  :->

Biggest problems I'm seeing:
    — The "4" is quite unhappy.
    — The bottom of the "2" appears too heavy.
    — The "4" is quite unhappy.
    I'm trying to figure out what you mean: would you say the previous version was happier, or is it the whole concept?
    The interesting construction of the 4 isn't echoed anywhere else. Maybe the beak of the 1 is flat, rather than curved? 
    I'll try your idea, thanks.
  • The three diagonals are fighting. And the stub is too short; might be best to simply ax it.

The bottom of 2 is now a bit lighter. I've also changed 4 a little, not sure if it's happier now (but I suspect it's too heavy now, I'll have to see if I still suspect that tomorrow).

I think I've also narrowed 3 by 1 or 2 points. Probably no one can tell.

I'll try Marc's suggestion when I have more time.
  • Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 724
    Is the symmetrical construction of the 8 deliberate? I thought you generally need the top bowl smaller than the bottom, but I would be interested to hear if there are good reasons for an exception.
    The top bowl is smaller:

• Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 724
    So it is! Off to the opticians...
  • the width of the diagonals on 4679 might vary too much
    Don't you think it add a little spice?
  • jeremy tribbyjeremy tribby Posts: 212
    edited July 2017
    I am not sure, I think it is a little too much. 7 and 9 are where it's most apparent to me. but if the flavor of these numerals suits the other characters maybe it is fine.

from left to right,  I overlaid some other sans, Futura, DIN, yours, aligned at bottom right corner -- look at the bit of magenta sticking out at the bottom left, 

Alright, I'll play with that. Thanks!

This is more conventional. Jeremy, do you like it better now? I think it's lost some character and balance.

• Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    Agree...with the 3rd sentence. If you keep second guessing yourself you'll spoil it. Commit and move on.
  • Hmm, looking at it both ways I am less sure, because you are right, it does lose something. Ignore me and carry on  :)
    I am pretty committed to the widening diagonals, I was just experimenting with Jeremy's idea :smile:
  • The flaring diagonals are nice. But in the "4" they're still causing trouble with the one in the short stem.
    In a way that the experimental version resolves?

(I must admit I don't quite see the problem there. I see the complexity, but it doesn't seem to me problematic. I would like to dwell on that, though, if that's okay. I'm just a beginner and I have plenty to learn.)
  • I would just match the (apparent) incline of the stem's diagonal with the middle one. And I still think the short stub on the right is out of character.
    Something like this?

Oh, you probably mean the other way around:

• Yes, but now it looks too open.  :-/
    Maybe it should just be straight.
    ?
  • I like it. Maybe raise the stem sightly.