Options

Do you keep track of your fonts? - Windows related...

Hi, don't know if this is the right category for this subject or if there are any in this forum? Admin can move or erase this discussion if the subject don't fit :)
I'm kind of a "fontneard" have been collecting fonts since I baught the first Mac for my designing company at 1986. You can say I have a lot... Mostly I use fontforge for correcting fonts "kerning etc" that I use for design, but also making some own fonts for fun.
The first software for keeping order of the fonts that I bought was "Suitcase" It was the first version that was released, it was a very very neaded software at that time, later on I used Master Juggler. Throwed out my Mac:s year 2000 and started to use Windows XP. Installed Adobe Type Manager which worked ok until some years agoo. Searched on internet and found the free software NexusFont... excellent software and for free. But when updating to Windows 10 aniversary update, something happened... fonts didn't activate on upstart or restart the pc.
No fix, so I decided to buy a software so I could use the support etc. Did a very careful investigation and bought the FontExpert from Proxima. Suited all my neads and even more. But now I been struggeling with the support for almost 2 month, having the same problem. Searched on internet and can see that other softwares for this kind of handling also have this problem. Looks like Windows must fix this in a update?

That was a long intro... I'm grateful if you managed to the question:
Does someone in "TypeDrawers" recommend a typemanaging software that works with Windows 10 creators update?
The most important demand is that the software activates the fonts that was activated when turning off or restarting the pc.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Options
    Dov Isaacs (Adobe) posted an announcement on the Adobe forums stating that Microsoft is aware of the issue and is working towards a fix.

Point is, I don't think any fonts installed via a shortcut by any FM when the Creator's Update is installed will survive a reboot until MS fixes this. So I would wait until we see what happens with a fix before throwing money at the issue.

Supposedly, a second reboot will reenable the fonts installed via a shortcut, at least if Windows' Settings (it's a new setting) is set to allow fonts to be installed via a shortcut.

Mike
  • Options
    Thomas HöggrenThomas Höggren Posts: 27
    edited July 2017
    Supposedly, a second reboot will reenable the fonts installed via a shortcut, at least if Windows' Settings (it's a new setting) is set to allow fonts to be installed via a shortcut.

Mike
    Hi Mike. Thanks for your input. That was good news for me, that Microsoft is aware of the problem and working on it...
    No point buying anything new if it's a universal problem :) The setting you mentioned for allowing to install fonts via shortcut... have not read or heard anything bout that, where do I find that setting??
    Gracias

- - - - - - -

Found it... shall test it
  • Options
    Hi Thomas,

Open Settings. Type into the search box font and then pick what is indicated below:

And then you'll see:

• Options
    Hi Thomas,

Open Settings. Type into the search box font and then pick what is indicated below:

And then you'll see:

Tested it... doesnt's help... but sure it looked like something that could :)
    Gracias

• Options
    Did you try MainType?
  • Options
    Did you try MainType?

Hi Erwin, thanks for the suggestion, but yes I've tried the testversion, when evaulating the different softwares in this category. I choosed "FontExpert" which I liked for my purpose.
    So "MainType" works perfect with activated fonts and keap them after shut down and restarts?? With latest update for Windows 10??

Gracias
  • Options
    MainType is one of the best font managers for Windows, so I'm curious why you decided to use another font manager.

And yes, fonts installed by MainType remain installed after a reboot, even with Windows 10 Creators Update.

We do offer a 50% discount if your crossgrade to MainType.

• Options
    MainType is one of the best font managers for Windows, so I'm curious why you decided to use another font manager.

And yes, fonts installed by MainType remain installed after a reboot, even with Windows 10 Creators Update.

Hi Erwin. Thanks for your consern. Yes sometimes you make mistakes :)  When testing the different managers I liked "FontExperts" way of taging and making groups etc... and worked very rapid when searching. Worked very good and filled my neads... before the latest Windows Creators update. Proxima is working with a fix (update) so I will give them a couple of days.
    But if they don't fix it I will take your very generous offer!
    The bad thing is that I putted in several hundreds of hours for categorizing and taging the fonts.
    Thanks again Erwin
  • Options

Hi again Erwin... I've been checking your softwares in more detail... and yes I like what I see. I don't want to bother guys in this forum more with this issue. Which email on your webpage goes directly to you? Or do you want me to continue with somone else in your company, cause I have some questions...?
    Thanks
  • Options
    Erwin DenissenErwin Denissen Posts: 291
    edited July 2017
    You can send an email to:
    erwin.denissen at ...

or post questions to our forum.
  • Options
    Ok Gracias Erwin