Are OpenType superior and inferior numbers broken in Illustrator 2015/2017

I’m doing QA and I cannot get OpenType superior (SUPS) or inferior (SUBS) numbers to work with the OpenType menu in Adobe Illustrator. Neither 2015 or 2017 work. Indesign works. I’ve tried this with my own fonts, Myriad, Minion, and Acumin. I can’t even input them from the Glyphs palette; AI uses the basic numbers every time. Fractions and lining numbers work. If I click the superscipt/subscript buttons AI just scales the basic numbers. Are these OpenType features just broken in Illustrator, or do I have to enable them outside of the OpenType menu?

Comments

• James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    I also tried SUPR and SINF, they don’t work either.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    edited July 2017
    For Illustrator superiors and inferiors, the solution would appear to be a separate font with glyphs designed specially to size down nicely.
  • I only rent ID when I need to—and am not doing so right now—but do have CS6. AI seems to work just fine here. Fully, at least with my font.

However, I think it is Minion/Myriad PRO fonts (versus the Std versions) that have some other features and I don't think it will fake them. Of those two, I think Minion Pro is the most complete, feature-wise. Might be wrong. I really never use them. 

• Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    I've got AI 2017.1.0 and it seems to work correctly for me.
  • AbiRasheedAbiRasheed Posts: 238
    edited July 2017
    If you go by the character panel AI scales it and that would look wrong but if you stick to the opentype panel then it should work as intended for Minion Pro and Myriad which I just tried. [GIF]. I'm on CS6 btw.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Adam TwardochAdam Twardoch Posts: 507
    edited July 2017
    Please check all four (not sure if there are four?) "Adobe composers" in the Paragraph palette. Any change?
  • And BTW, if one desires to check OT Features in applications, it helps to check across more than a single application. I can heartily recommend Affinity Designer (Mac/Windows).

AD probably has the most complete, working OT Feature support currently available. And if something is found to be amiss, report it. Dave Harris of Serif will roll in a fix as soon as possible, often in the next possible beta release.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,732
    edited July 2017
    Illustrator OpenType number features are broken.

I agree that many of the OpenType Panel number features in the latest Illustrator 2017 are broken. No idea when this happened. It affects ordinals, superscript, subscript, and the same formatting when being used to get “Insert Glyph” results (in other words, it can show me a glyph but fails to insert it).

I am not saying that is an exhaustive list of what isn't working, but I didn't see any issues with the other features I tried.