Dwiggins / Tippecanoe

In my research for reviving Tippecanoe, WAD's take on a Didone, I have received a lot of information from many generous and knowing designers, researchers and Dwiggins aficionado's. Still I find I am lacking some information, so I hope one of you can help me out. What I am looking for:

– Images of the drawings of experimental #283, which I suppose is much closer to the result than #268: anyone who would want to share those with me (the Boston Library, where they are, does not have them digitized yet, and I am in Europe…)
- Printed samples of the roman, especially the proofs on smooth paper, in rather high resolution: most of what I have are either reprints or lack clarity

Then some lingering questions:
- What are the origins of the name 'Tippecanoe' for this typeface?
- Why this rather heavy weight to start with?
- Why was it used in 'the creaking stair', why only there, and why only italic (with the titles in roman capitals)? 

Looking forward to what anyone may come up with,

Comments

• Having seen Tippecanoe in use, it was very jarring to read. Not a good text face at all, in my opinion, which I assume is why it was only used that time in The Creaking Stair. 
  • Having seen Tippecanoe in use, it was very jarring to read. Not a good text face at all, in my opinion, which I assume is why it was only used that time in The Creaking Stair.
    It is a wondrous creature and quite a bold one at that; from the correspondence with Griffith I make it WAD was certain he was on to something interesting. I am trying to figure out what that was, and hopefully I will be able to show it.