Anfíbia - new display font

Comments

• Ray LarabieRay Larabie Posts: 1,376
    The crossbar on the Ð with the crossbar on the E should be somewhat related.
  • The EU has a reference for the construction of the Euro symbol, which obviously you will want to adapt, but should give you an understanding of its construction principles.
  • Bhikkhu PesalaBhikkhu Pesala Posts: 210
    edited February 2017
    • I like the font, and the figure 8 is original, while still recognisable.
    • The Old Style figure 4 lost its wiggle. I think it should be more similar to the default 4. 
    • The bowl of the Old Style figure 9 is too small. Again it should be more similar to the default 9, just placed lower with the bowl on the baseline.
    • The ogoneks should join the base glyphs more smoothly. There was a long thread on this recently.
    • The other glyphs are fine, except perhaps the Uppercase Thorn, where the bowl could be slightly smaller.
    • I am also a fan of Standard Ligatures, I use them even for pairs like fh fk ky or ty, but perhaps your font does not need one for fi. The fl ligature is fine.
  • edited February 2017
    Freely ignore officious construction principles. Except for the Estimated sign.
  • Thanks very much guys, I'm really enjoying learning about all this.

• New questions
    Are these good?
  • Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,938
    edited February 2017
    The hard corner in your /ß is a bit jarring. As for the /SS — how is that represented in your font? /germandbls.case? I don't think that's needed. I suggest also drawing a /ẞ in its dedicated Unicode slot.

From what I've heard, the Hungarian umlauts should look exactly the same in the caps and lowercase (or at least have the same inclination angle).
  • Christian Thalmann The /SS is accessible via Discretionary Ligatures.
    Already the /ẞ is new the old one was almost a / ß without that trace in the middle, But I still do not consider it finished. What do you think of these characters?
  • I would drop the spur on the lc form.
  • Modifications Based on comments from last week.

• I would drop the spur on the lc form.
    Sorry, but what would be "Ic form"
  • Lowercase, the one on the left.
  • Of course!!! I'm going to adopt

• Maybe I'm being picky, but I think the join of the ogonek to the lowercase e should be smoother. These are no accents, but should look like part of the glyph, like a hook, tail, or swash. 
  • Maybe I'm being picky, but I think the join of the ogonek to the lowercase e should be smoother. These are no accents, but should look like part of the glyph, like a hook, tail, or swash. 
    Now that you've spoken, I feel like they're not looking sans serif enough.

• I created these discretionary ligatures more to distract myself from the heavy work hehehe ...

But as before they had already told me about the need for some extra glyphs,

I thought that was also the case for these, so you think it's worth working on these ligatures ???

• Those ligatures are rather lovely. Take my response with a grain of salt. I am a novice and can not always detect some of the subtleties the better eyes here can distinguish.
  • Thank you for your opinion @Charlie Goodwin

• I took a while without looking at my typography And when I come back I create an antipathy for my "g". I did another, closing the eye that was open and readjusting other things.

Did you find it better ???

Do you think it suits the rest of the typography ???

Thank you for the advice.

• Ori Ben-DorOri Ben-Dor Posts: 383
    You've also changed the /o/, haven't you? I think I like the old one better, but I guess I can see why you've changed it. Anyhow, new /g/ does look more balanced. But you'll have to upload some text sample if you want more serious feedback.
  • The /NT and /TH ligatures took me way too long to parse. And that was knowing that they are ligatures. If I had come across them in text I would be completely lost. /MU is slightly confusing, but the others are wonderful.
  • You've also changed the /o/, haven't you? I think I like the old one better, but I guess I can see why you've changed it. Anyhow, new /g/ does look more balanced. But you'll have to upload some text sample if you want more serious feedback.

Believed that the "o" is a little different because of hitting issues, Since these words were not originally of the same size.

I took that base text here from the forum to test the new g, look !!!

• Someone sees some irregularities in these diacritics, I feel insecure, especially in: / è / é / à / á

• The acute is sitting too far to the left on /a and /e, but looks fine to me on the other letters. Don't you use anchors for alignment?

The tildes are much too long and off-center.
  • The acute is sitting too far to the left on /a and /e, but looks fine to me on the other letters. Don't you use anchors for alignment?

The tildes are much too long and off-center.

No, could you pass me some material on the subject, on the use of anchors.

thanks in advance.

• Here's how to do it in Glyphs; don't know about other editors, but I'm sure it's possible there as well.

https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/diacritics
  • Thanks very much Christian Thalmann, I already gave a quick answer and I realized that this article will be very useful

• New Ligatures /N_T and /T_H the /U_M could not leave congruent with the other alternatives.

• I preferred your previous version of /N_T; I suspect it would be more legible when used in context.