f/hcircumflex f/hbar pairs: kerning, ligatures or nothing at all?

Ramiro EspinozaRamiro Espinoza Posts: 839
edited February 2017 in Technique and Theory
Hi there,

What you think guys is the best approach for the f/hcircumflex  f/hbar pairs? Kerning, ligatures or nothing at all?
I am also in doubt with f/kcommaaccent f/lacute f/lcommaaccent.
TIA.

Tagged:

Comments

• Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Not sure the fĥ combination is a practical concern. As far as I can tell, it doesn’t really occur in Esperanto. (It would be pretty difficult to pronounce phonetically.)

For the Maltese fħ, do you have a contextual short f for use with narrow accents that you could sub in? If not (or if it doesn’t really look good), then you could probably just make a component of your f_h and throw a bar on it.
  • Great! What about: 

• @Jacques Le Bailly Thanks! I didn't know this resource.

• Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,938
    edited February 2017
    My go-to solution is to use CALT to turn /f into /f.short before ascending glyphs for which there is no ligature.

(If I want to be fancy, as in the case of Cormorant, I also make this happen for glyphs with ligatures such that CALT takes over when LIGA is switched off. This requires hand-coding the LIGA feature, unfortunately, since Glyphs is incapable of figuring out something like /f_h.short.liga, and /f.short_h.liga is illegal as far as I can tell.)
  • Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    My linguistic investigations have not so far uncovered any instances of Latvian or , Slovak , or Marshallese combinations. (But, of course, I can’t promise they don’t exist out there somewhere. ;-)

You will, however, find combinations in Slovak.

Of course, the advantage of some kind of contextual f to form a naturally harmonious interaction is that you don’t have to worry so much about specific linguistic likelihoods (unlike fixed ligatures).