Philippine <i>piso</i> symbol U+20B1

I’m wondering if anyone has any native perspective or practical insight regarding the Philippine piso currency symbol (₱).

The Unicode nominal representation features a double strike, and that is the most common form in fonts that I see. Occasionally, you find a single strike.

The biggest challenge comes as weight increases. Common strategies include using disproportionately thin strikes or eliminating the segments that cross the counter above a certain threshold. I don’t find either terribly convincing, personally. Using a single strike presents fewer difficulties, obviously.

Does anyone have insight into native preferences regarding double- versus single-strike.

I am unable to find many images of the symbol in use via internet search. My go-to for examples of currency symbols in use are usually postage stamps or restaurant menus. Nearly all Philippine examples I can find use just a P abbreviation. Even documents from the Bangko Sentral ng Pilipinas (Central Bank of the Philippines, the issuing agency) seem to use only an abbreviation, not the symbol.

I managed to find one stamp that featured the symbol — a single-strike.

I would be grateful for any perspective that goes beyond mere speculation.

Tagged:

Comments

• edited February 2017
    I was going to propose a new structure but then realized the Ruble already uses it...

Ah, what about this?

• Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Not looking for a new structure, thanks. I’m interested in what the folks who use this currency find familiar and expect of their symbol.
  • edited February 2017
    From your description I figured that things might be hazy enough to leave the door open to help this symbol out structurally. Like how people have thankfully been weaned off a dollar sign with two verticals. I do realize that many (perhaps most) type designers don't see such a role for themselves, but since as a field we're the most qualified to do it...
  • The Filipinos are very easy going about this symbol, although the 'official' symbol uses two strikes a single strike is perfectly acceptable and even the use of a capital P is completely accepted as the meaning is usually obvious from context.

Even in the small shops and markets where price lists are written on bits of paper or on a small balckboard all three forms are common.

The banknotes aren't much help either they have the denomination in numbers and in words but the symbol never appears, like 100 and then 'Sandaang Piso'.

Sorry this isn't much help to you, but it does mean that whatever form you produce will be OK.

• Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905
    Paul — Thanks for your observations. Yes, banknotes are almost never any use for gauging native use of a currency symbol, as most do not display one.
  • edited February 2017
    > The Filipinos are very easy going about this symbol

Bingo.
    (Opportunity knocks.)
  • I was going to propose a new structure but then realized the Ruble already uses it...

Ah, what about this?

I asked my wife about this symbol (she's a Filippina) and she said it doesn't look like a Philippine Peso symbol, sorry.

• edited February 2017
    Thanks for asking her.
    It would be interesting to test such alternatives more deeply.
  • In Eau de Garamond, I just use the default configuration and clear out the counter for the heavier weights.

Does that work, or would a single stroke crossing the counter be preferable?
  • Bhikkhu PesalaBhikkhu Pesala Posts: 210
    edited February 2017
    Nearly every font listed on fileformat.info that supports it shows a double-stroke through the counter. I think the heavier weights will look better with the open counter than with a single stroke. The bolder fonts like Roberto Black really don't work too well. 
  • > would a single stroke crossing the counter be preferable?

I think consistency is important in such symbols.

If I were forced to make a double-bar one, I would make the head of the "P" as large as possible; to me it doesn't have to match the actual "P".
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nice feature of TrueType hinting is that you can merge the two bars in small ppem sizes. Here is an example of a typeface we're currently working on.
  • Christian ThalmannChristian Thalmann Posts: 1,938
    edited February 2017
    Good point, Hrant. I'm using this one now.