Out of print books

Hello type designers, show me a sign though – I was book hunting trying to find: 
The stroke: theory of writing Gerrit Noordzij
Counterpunch: making type in the sixteenth century, designing typefaces now Fred Smeijers
I can't get them any more, that's a sign of the times though.

I have contacted Hyphen Press and no future plans to republish, if anyone comes across them on the cheap and not going for crazy money could you please message me.

Regards,
Luke
Tagged:

Comments

• Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 994
    edited May 2016
    Here's the only copy I can find of Counterpunch under $100. The only available copies of The Stroke under $500 are the Spanish edition. Unfortunately, there is high demand and very little supply for these two titles right now, but if you're patient I'm sure the price will come down.
  • Found myself in a similar situation in regard to "The stroke" and also had contacted the publisher. The answer I got was that they are looking to pass that title on to another publisher.

What I don't really understand is why Hyphen Press wouldn't reissue a new edition - there seems to be plenty of demand and it fits their portfolio, at least from what I can tell. Any ideas why this would be so?
  • I love you Stephen Coles, thank you – ordered the book hope they have it in stock
  • Luke FreemanLuke Freeman Posts: 61
    edited May 2016
    Found myself in a similar situation in regard to "The stroke" and also had contacted the publisher. The answer I got was that they are looking to pass that title on to another publisher.

What I don't really understand is why Hyphen Press wouldn't reissue a new edition - there seems to be plenty of demand and it fits their portfolio, at least from what I can tell. Any ideas why this would be so?
    That sounds like the same e-mail I got, word for word. I met Robin from Hyphen Press he did say he was planning to retire. Not sure the direction of Hyphen Press will go in, as it looks less likely to reprint past books, some lucky and gone on 1st 2nd 3rd edition.

Guess it's just type design is a niche, rarely are there any good books being published. Only if I got into type design younger I might have been able to get hold of them.
  • Man, The Stroke: theory of writing is a hot one right now. All of us in Type@Cooper West have been hunting hard the past three weeks it seems. New Metaphor had a cheap copy, but was snatched up super quick. Good luck in your search.
  • Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 723
    I got both "The Stroke" and "Counterpunch" from my local art bookshop, Manic Books in Melbourne, for $43 and $55 AUD respectively. They still seem to have copies.

But dammit, I am happy to publish reprints under one of my imprints. There's no reason books should go out of print in a print-on-demand world, no matter how niche they are.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • There's no reason books should go out of print in a print-on-demand world
    Well, there are some legal things to consider, before you run off scanning stuff.
  • Simon CozensSimon Cozens Posts: 723
    Sure, I'm aware of that; I wasn't planning to. And yes, I'm aware it's usually the legal things that prevent the books coming back into print - getting rights agreements from all the relevant parties is often a headache.
  • For anyone seeking Detail in typography it's back in print with another publisher 
    http://editions-b42.com/books/detail-typography/

If you are fluent in French Counterpunch (I'm waiting on feedback if they will print an English version)
    http://editions-b42.com/books/contrepoincons/
  • If you can only afford either Counterpunch or The Stroke, the former wins hands-down. Assuming you want to learn about type.
  • Aaron BellAaron Bell Posts: 90
    New Metaphor had a copy today at Typographics 2016. Email them and ask. 
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    New Metaphor had a copy today at Typographics 2016. Email them and ask. 

It’s absurd that in 2016 people have to go to rare book dealers to buy contemporary books about typography. It’s a shame the authors can’t just set up a damned Big Cartel + Pulley store to sell ebooks. Or just do what Jan Middendorp did and make the entire book searchable on Google books.
  • Aaron BellAaron Bell Posts: 90
    @James Well, it is an out of print book. Once out of print it isn't really "contemporary" anymore.
  • Counterpunch seems to be on sale through Amazon at £22.50. So maybe no longer OOP?
  • It seems to be available through Amazon UK as a regular, in stock book. But Amazon US still lists Counterpunch as only available in used copies, starting at over USD $90. Perhaps it just got reprinted and hasn't made it to their US warehouses.
  • Peiran TanPeiran Tan Posts: 22
    edited January 2017
    Watch Typotheque’s own web shop. Last year I bought two copies of The Stroke (English ed) from them, 20 Euros each. Now it’s sold out but they might get more in the future.

Now, does anyone know where to get a used or new copy of Bollnow’s Human Space for a reasonable price?
  • Lowest price I'm seeing for "Human Space" is almost $400. For "The Stroke" 20 Euro is a fair price.
  • I would advise be careful as not all sellers are genuine, as most online links claiming they have copies of Counterpunch for it's original price isn't true.

The Stroke is going down in price to £300 through Abe books, if it's going for retail price than it's in another language. 
  • It hasn't been mentioned here in name, but I personally had been looking for a copy of "The Origin of the Serif", and only recently found this source in the US that sells it at reasonable price. Recommended :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It hasn't been mentioned here in name, but I personally had been looking for a copy of "The Origin of the Serif", and only recently found this source in the US that sells it at reasonable price. Recommended :)
    Thanks for sharing that link. At Typecon Denver a n old student/friend of Catch gave a talk about Catich. Afterward he told me that Reed College has a room filled with unsold copies of The Origin of the Serif that they can't decide what to do with.
  • I would advise be careful as not all sellers are genuine, as most online links claiming they have copies of Counterpunch for it's original price isn't true.

The Stroke is going down in price to £300 through Abe books, if it's going for retail price than it's in another language. 
    I would agree but in this case the seller is Amazon itself (since it's offered with Prime attached) rather than a third party seller.
  • The first time Counterpunch prices spiked (about ten years ago) I walked into a bookstore in rural Wisconsin and found a new copy sitting on the shelf. It’s become one of those exceptional texts that I’ve read and traveled with enough that the cover is now taped together.
  • edited February 2017
    I bought "Counterpunch" for $27 from a store in Ghirardelli Square shortly after it came out. The chapter on J/j inspired my Alphabet Reform effort. As you were.
  • Well I think that the AmazonUK entry was a mistake, they said it would take a month to deliver it and now the delivery has been put back another month. Also the Amazon original price version has been removed (only resellers on the page now).
  • Well I think that the AmazonUK entry was a mistake, they said it would take a month to deliver it and now the delivery has been put back another month. Also the Amazon original price version has been removed (only resellers on the page now).
    I put in an order start of the month, risk it for a biscuit as they say. It will be interesting to see what happens. I kinda of knew it's too good to be true. 
  • I’ll get banned for this, oh well.

Counterpunch 2 is in the works.  

I put in an order start of the month, risk it for a biscuit as they say. It will be interesting to see what happens. I kinda of knew it's too good to be true. 
    Well, Amazon UK eventually cancelled my order. They say for some reason it can’t be fulfilled.