Combining italic with strait verticles ?

Recently I started examining Nina Stössingers typeface Nordvest italic and I couldn't help but to fall in love. I notice things like in the n how she combines what looks like two styles into one so collaboratively, it made me question, why are there no combinations of italic and "normal" faces. I mean the way an italic slants and cursifies, am I just out for lunch ? I don't know — I just think it would look cool to take such unique features of italics and make them a little less fluid. I drew up an experiment and I'm sorry to Nina for this but I just wanted to see how it would look for reference. Get what I'm saying ? I also used Museo to show the effect but I don't think it works  perhaps because it's not organic enough. I know that breaks the rules — just a thought. 
Tagged:

Comments

• That's called "upright italic". Dutch type designers tend to love it. I don't.

Perhaps the earliest explicit example is the one in Seria.
    http://www.martinmajoor.com/3.2_seria_article_crewdson.html

There's a lot of stuff on this on Typophile.

Oh, and Nordvest is totally amazing.
  • Niche.Niche. Posts: 86
    Based on a quick search some remind me of blackletter a bit. Some just literally look like they took an italic and skewed it. Would love to see more extremes like Nordvest
  • some remind me of blackletter a bit

Maybe that’s because many blackletter subgenres including fraktur, schwabacher or civilité are cursive by nature. Here’s the ‘n’ from Burte-Fraktur, for comparison:

And yes, the Dutch tend to love it.

• Niche.Niche. Posts: 86
    Oh how much I love the endless discoveries in type. I wish I could stop my obsession but it just keeps growing. Thanks for the references. 
  • I learned (in The Netherlands, sorry Hrant :) ) that Italic is a constructional principle. The slanting is therefore not a necessity.
  • edited February 2017
    That's creator-centric, not user-centric. Art, not Design. This is in fact my main contention with the Dutch School: it's centered on expression, inescapably at the expense of service. Individualism, not Collectivism. Making marks "by hand" because that's the human way. Except the human way of seeing is detached from that, making the human way of marking at best an arbitrary design constraint, at worst misleading.

Anyway, more firmly on-topic:
    Especially in small running text readers need a much stronger visual clue to reliably discern emphasis than a construction principle that often results in minimal actual difference. Slant is bullet-proof there. Upright Italic sacrifices slant essentially to push dogma about personal expression. This is anti-Design.
  • Thank you for the lesson :)

I spoke on the theoretical side of the story. Like you, I would always look for best typographical solution.