Name: Typeboard

Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 420
As this exists: http://www.typeboard.com/ should this forum have a different name, one that we can get the domain for? 

Comments

• Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    How about "Chirography and Apple Appreciation Board for Professional Type Designers"?
  • good name, but can we abbreviate it?

• Michael ClarkMichael Clark Posts: 138
    edited March 2012
    Hey Mark... did you know that in 30 years of doing what I do I never heard the word chirography uttered by a calligrapher. It was, and is, a "thorn word" used by Hrant to goad those who practice what he was incapable of doing or understanding, and hates without being able to define why! Its a new buzz word... like conversate, notate, or like I heard the other night positate... used to make the user sound more intelligent than they are!!!!!!!

There is a difference but he does not understand it.

I came here seeking a respite from it. Nuf said?
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    Anyone who has good name suggestions should feel free to post them. I still have not bought a domain, so changing is no big deal.

And as for the Hrantisms, maybe I should add a rule barring pseudo-intellectual jargon like Rick Poyner did over at Eye. 
    edited March 2012
    Sorry James... but I was nice and meant no harm. And no, I am not advocating censorship.
    How about...

Type Drawer
    As far as I can tell, typedrawer.com is available.
    edited March 2012
    Or, Type Drawers, which has three meanings, one of them funny.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Is hamburgevons.com taken?
    edited March 2012
    I like it, maybe an expanded version, TheTypeDrawer. That has a nice ring to it. Good one Mark.
    edited March 2012
    It has two different meanings, both apt, depending on how you pronounce it. (In case anyone hasn't caught this.) I don't think it needs a "the". It makes it sound a little old fashioned or something.
  • I am wearing my type drawers and I am drawing type  :-) 

I always like an added dimension and I think you have succeeded Mark!
  • For what it's worth, it should be noted that many letterpress printers cringe when they hear people say "type drawers" instead of "type cases".

• 0041–005A

:o)
    re: letterpress printers

Even so, it is a commonly used term, in the vernacular, if not strictly proper.
  • typedrawer.com sounds good to me.  typecase.com, even better, but somebody's sitting on it.
    That's funny.
  • Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 420
    I like the idea of something using Pica. 

Like: Pica and Point. or Point and Pica.

etc.
    Keep in mind that the focus is on type design and lettering, less on typesetting and design.
  • A believe a digital pica roughly translates to an anachronism. It's about equal to one quaint.
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    Didn’t John Warnock personally decide to make it 72 points?
    It was intended to be 72 points to 1 inch, but the 1/72 inch point was rounded down to .0138 inch so it could be expressed decimally. Multiplied by 72, it comes out to slightly less than an inch. We have Nelson Crocker Hawks to thank for this.
  • Russell McGormanRussell McGorman Posts: 258
    edited March 2012
    Ha. For all that, you just size it up or down until it looks right and then measure it.

I actually like Typeboard. It's a board. It's about type. It's TypeBoard.

... Since y'all don't seem too keen on my Unicode ref above. :o)

I got it. Seems a little too... computery.

Typeboard is okay, but the domain is not available, which was why it came up for discussion.