Photo dumping for Daily Type Specimen

I need to find somewhere to dump the original files for Daily Type Specimen. Given the way things have been going with Yahoo I’m not sure that Tumblr and/or Flickr will be around in the long term. I’d also like people to be able to download a big collection of files without going through the bulky UIs of Flickr, Wikimedia Commons, or Archive.org. File lockers like Mega are out for a long list of reasons. I’m partial to just dumping it all on an FTP site somewhere but I don’t want a server running in my basemen. Github seems like a good option, but they have a soft limit of one gigabyte, and Daily Type Specimen is four gigabytes. Any other good options?

Comments

• Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 994
    edited December 2016
    What are your goals? Simple storage and download? Or do you want folks to view, find, browse, and comment on the images as well?

If quick upload and download of a large collection is the only priority, consider CloudApp which will let you share files up to 25MB for free at up to 2GB per day. You could bundle things in zips by foundry or decade.

If you want users to do anything else (view, find, browse, comment) I still find nothing better than Flickr. I understand you’re concerned about durability — any corporate owned storage is subject to fail — but Flickr has been around longer than most of them. And there's the added bonus of your images being among of an established community of type lovers.
  • By the way, on Flickr you can download full albums at once, so you could put everything in an album the moment you upload it and it will be available for one-click download.
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    edited December 2016
    What are your goals? Simple storage and download? Or do you want folks to view, find, browse, and comment on the images as well?
    My goal is to make it easy for people to download everything from one specimen at once. Without me having to go back and assign all my images to albums/tags with Flickr. I’m also concerned that at some point Flickr and Tumblr are going to disappear when Yahoo is stripped down to the ad platform.

I’ll check out cloud app this week.
  • Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,730
    edited December 2016
    Well, even if Flickr and/or Tumblr were to go away, you'd presumably have a fair bit of warning. Still, you'd lose the time invested....  :/
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Simply delivering files over something like Amazon S3 could be an option, not sure how to make an easy to use end user interface for it though.
  • I would use Amazon S3, possibly with Cloudfront for the front end. Another option would be to talk to archive.org - this is exactly their thing.
  • joeclarkjoeclark Posts: 122
    Without me having to go back and assign all my images to albums/tags with Flickr.
    That just isn’t as taxing as you seem to believe.
  • Did you make a decision on this, @James Puckett? I sure would love to search your archives on Flickr like we do those of many other specimen sharers.
  • I haven’t decided anything yet. I’ll probably do it soon.