Options

One thing I don't like in vfb2UFO

Message to the FL guys: When I convert an UFO file to FL using vfb2UFO, it always decomposes the glyphs where I overlapped a contour and a component. I usually do this sort of things for Lslah, Oslash, etc. 
UFOCentral is still much more reliable when it comes to components.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Paul van der LaanPaul van der Laan Posts: 242
    edited November 2016
    Oh, there are plenty more bugs in vfb2ufo that are pretty annoying:
    • Certain guidelines that automatically get renamed to “</guide>” and as a result will break the UFO;
    • Anchors that get removed when put in glyphs with components;
    • PS ghost hints that get reversed.

• Options
    Are there any downsides to UFOCentral? I wasn't aware that there is a vfb2ufo alternative.
  • Options
    I never have problems with UFOCentral and my master always stay compatible. I know some data is ignored (slot colouring, for example) but these things are negligible, IMO.
  • Options
    Is UFOCentral still available? Old links no longer work on what looks like Tal Leming's revised site.
  • Options
    It runs really well via emulation of Windows XP on my Mac! :D
  • Options
    There are some things that you can’t access with scripts, mostly the hinting settings. Those infos are exported by vfb2ufo. 
  • Options
    @Stuart Sandler What do you run via Windows XP emulation? vfb2ufo? 
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, Michael.
  • Options
    When using vfb2ufo I had problems with unnamed global guides in an ufo. That is maybe what Paul is referring to. I always make sure that those have a name otherwise the .vfb can not be reconverted properly to .ufo or at least it can not be opened in certain font editors.
  • Options
    @Ramiro I use a Windows emulator for my other company to test Photoshop products but indeed I use the VFB2UFO .exe application there which is insanely fast and troublefree.
  • Options
    Just wanted to let folks know that we at FontLab have been noting the mentioned bugs. I wanted to make sure they are all fixed for FontLab VI—which would also mean they are in our core code for a future vfb2ufo update.
  • Options
    @Thomas Phinney - Is TransType getting an update any time soon?
  • Options
    @Thomas Phinney That is great to hear. I expect you will make sure that all the bugs reported on your own forum will be addressed as well?
    http://forum.fontlab.com/fontlab-vi-ufo-support-(also-vfb2ufo)/vfb2ufo/

I'd be happy to give any new update a spin and check for remaining bugs.
  • Options
    Speaking of TransType, it is on sale right now for 1/2 price.

I think I'd have to physically attack Yuri if I wanted to derail him from working exclusively on FontLab VI right now. It is too close to being done to allow any distractions.

After VI, besides the inevitable bug fixes for VI, we'll be starting on updates to other existing FL apps....
  • Options
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, just wanted to report that the download links on the official vfb2ufo page are not working anymore.

BTW: Is there any progress on fixing the bugs reported in the past years?