Website Critique

BjørnHansenBjørnHansen Posts: 10
edited September 2016 in Type Business
Hey folks!
The time has come to go live with our typography business.
I've been making the website the last couple of days, and there's still stuff to do!  
But i would like to get a little note from you guys in this phase.. As this is being written we still need to upload cases, fonts and the webshop - so what im interested in is the overall look of the website!

http://let-us.design

Thanks!

Comments

• James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    edited September 2016
    You need to hire a native English speaking editor to proofread the text. Your English is not bad, but where there are mistakes they are glaring.

• @BjørnHansen if you have the budget for @James Puckett's suggestion I have someone I can refer you to.
  • Not a web developer but aren't you gonna have issues with a domain that ends with .design as far as crawlers/indexing goes ?
  • Abi, I've never heard of the new TLDs being detrimental to search indexing. Given that meaningful .com domains are essentially impossible to get and most of them that are real words are junk anyway, I would assume that the primacy of .com is way behind us. Looking at it another way, I'm not sure what google (etc) would gain from excluding or demoting these TLDs from their index.
  • It looks great overall. Clean and trendy. I would perhaps make the "We Design Type" a bit smaller. 
  • I bet it looks amazing on a large screen but on my 13" MacBook Air the words are bit a too big for ease of reading.  
  • Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    edited September 2016
    Is the current trend to have everything scroll in websites instead of clicking links? (The opposite of what "used to be" desirable). This may help the iPhone user but it drives me nuts on a desktop computer.  Scroll, scroll, scroll, but I can't get quickly to the info that might interest me.

Also, what do you mean by "Cases"?
  • Ofir ShavitOfir Shavit Posts: 396
    edited September 2016
    Looking great overall
    I don't like the parallax animations when scrolling, fade alone will look and feel better imo.
    I'm also disturbed by the blue text on white background, black on blue (logo) ,and Italic titles. I think that the graphic language will be stronger by maintaining consistency of white on blue and black on white text color rule, emphasise messages by size and weight only. 
  • attarattar Posts: 209
    It's a bit odd imo that a type design service is using Google Fonts on its website.
  • Personal point of critique: The white and very saturated blue is extremely hard to read, especially paired with a multitude of directional and opacity transitions. Also, some of the transitions blink and flash things they shouldn't. Some of the animations on buttons and headings flying in seem more distracting than helpful for understanding the structure of the site.
  • That seems unnecessarily harsh, @Frode Bo Helland. The OP asked only for comments on the overall look of the site, which they clearly state is early in its development. They may be overeager for feedback, but I don't think that's evidence of "no ambition and zero interest in investing time."

Folks on TypeDrawers have been willing to critique type design efforts that were comparatively far less polished.
  • BjørnHansenBjørnHansen Posts: 10
    edited September 2016
    Not a web developer but aren't you gonna have issues with a domain that ends with .design as far as crawlers/indexing goes ?
    We have a guy on that - honestly i dont know
    edited September 2016
    Is the current trend to have everything scroll in websites instead of clicking links? (The opposite of what "used to be" desirable). This may help the iPhone user but it drives me nuts on a desktop computer.  Scroll, scroll, scroll, but I can't get quickly to the info that might interest me.

Also, what do you mean by "Cases"?
    I dont know much about web trends - but i do know that i personally think scrolling can give a fine native to a side. By time the site will of course get bigger and you can dig deep into the rabbit hole - but for now, our basic information is high priority

Cases will be our portfolio since we are not just designing fonts, but also do various other typography based projects

I'm also disturbed by the blue text on white background, black on blue (logo) ,and Italic titles. I think that the graphic language will be stronger by maintaining consistency of white on blue and black on white text color rule, emphasise messages by size and weight only. 
    I hear you!!

It's a bit odd imo that a type design service is using Google Fonts on its website.
    i know - but it's some next level stuff to implement our own fonts - it will happen though.

Personal point of critique: The white and very saturated blue is extremely hard to read, especially paired with a multitude of directional and opacity transitions. Also, some of the transitions blink and flash things they shouldn't. Some of the animations on buttons and headings flying in seem more distracting than helpful for understanding the structure of the site.
    I will go over the css animations one by one! Thanks!

• "cases" may be one of those words @James Puckett spoke about at the top of this thread. To me, "cases" just does not translate well to English.
  • "cases" may be one of those words @James Puckett spoke about at the top of this thread. To me, "cases" just does not translate well to English.
    JoyceKetterer said:
    @BjørnHansen if you have the budget for @James Puckett's suggestion I have someone I can refer you to.
    James Puckett said:
    You need to hire a native English speaking editor to proofread the text. Your English is not bad, but where there are mistakes they are glaring.

Thanks! We will get all the text proper edited with support from a pro at the end of the week! As english isn't our native theres no other way around it! Valuable critique guys!!

•  I dont know much about web trends - but i do know that i personally think scrolling can give a fine native to a side. 
    Can you try a different phrase here? I have no idea what a “fine native to a side” is.

I appreciate that you are writing in something other than your native language. At the moment I can only remember literally one word of Norwegian (pillow > pute), so overall I’d have to say you’re doing great.  :smile:
    edited October 2016

I dont know much about web trends - but i do know that i personally think scrolling can give a fine native to a side. 
    Can you try a different phrase here? I have no idea what a “fine native to a side” is.

I appreciate that you are writing in something other than your native language. At the moment I can only remember literally one word of Norwegian (pillow > pute), so overall I’d have to say you’re doing great.  :smile:
    Haha what i meant was: narrative! think it was an autocorrect... 
    A site - to me, can make a fine guidance and narrative through scrolling - just as much as clicking :). It is of cause with moderations in both worlds - nobody wanna scroll for miles, either click a 100 times.
    It's my personal opinion, and i'm not a pro webdesigner though..

And thank you for the encouragement Thomas, it means a lot!