Options

Dalton Maag seeking a Font Developer

https://daltonmaag.com/about-us/join-us

https://daltonmaag.com/media/other/JD_FontDev_230816.pdf

Font Developer

Job Summary:

Dalton Maag is recruiting for Font Developers to join us at our office in Brixton, South London. Each Font Developer will work as part of a Font Development Team, contributing to a range of products and services which maintain and grow Dalton Maag’s international client base, and which help us to achieve our long-term objectives.

We’re looking for people who have a talent for developing high-quality Latin and/or non-Latin typefaces in a commercial setting. The ideal candidates will be open to enhancing their skills via Dalton Maag’s comprehensive training scheme in all areas of font development, including Latin and non-Latin typeface design, font engineering, and font hinting.

They will be self-motivating, enjoy working as part of a team, and be comfortable delivering their work within the formal structure of a project. They will have a strong sense of responsibility for their own initiatives, be flexible and dedicated to delivering great quality work, enjoy collaborating with diverse groups of people, and be able to express themselves well in small and large forums.

Duties:

• Works on all parts of Font Development projects, from design to delivery.
• Collaborates with other Font Developers in their own team and cross-team where required.
• Communicates effectively with clients, consultants, and suppliers.
• Meets and seeks to improve internal quality standards, requirements, and best practices.
• Documents and shares knowledge. Preferred skills:
• Experience in Font Design and/or Engineering, and a basic awareness of the full Font Development process including spacing and kerning, hinting etc.
• Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, and font editing and production software e.g. FontLab, GlyphsApp, Microsoft VOLT, Adobe FDK, and other industry-standard applications.
• A logical, punctual, and organized approach.
• Collaborative, proactive, and communicative attitude.
• Excellent communication skills in verbal and written English.

Salary:

From £31,380 per annum depending on experience. Salary is reviewed annually.

Apply:

Portfolios and covering letters to: careers@daltonmag.com

Comments

• Options
    Belleve InvisBelleve Invis Posts: 269
    edited August 2016
    I am curious about the term “developer”: Please clarify is it “designing typefaces”, or developing software related to, well, type design?
  • Options
    I am curious about the term “developer”: Please clarify is it “designing typefaces”, or developing software related to, well, type design?
    The former; however, Dalton Maag folks are active developers of software related to type design, such as fontTools.
  • Options
    Font Developer is a term used by Dalton Maag to group Typeface Designers and Font Engineers. Dave is referring to Software Developers which Dalton Maag also employs but who are (among other things) supporting Font Developers, they are however usually not directly involved in the production of fonts.
    Any questions, shout! Happy to answer them if I can.
  • Options

• Works on all parts of Font Development projects, from design to delivery.

OK, this is quite what I do as a single font provider, neccessarily, nothing special though.
    But, in the briefing for a position in a rather high-level specialized work environment of a company such as DM, it does not convince me as an actual description of what they actually look for. “One who does it all”, I’ve read this too many times to buy it.