Template needs modification to unbreak links and mark up paragraphs correctly

1. When one uses the visual editor, as everyone but me does (even I use it most of the time), the Vanilla software errantly includes these attributes inside <A> (for links):

rel="nofollow" target="_blank"

• The first one is arguably harmless in that it ostensibly undermines attempts at spam and “SEO.”

• The latter is actively harmful because it opens links in new “windows,” thereby pretending we’re living in late 2001 where nobody can quite figure out that a link takes you somewhere else. Everyone here knows how to open a link in a new tab, and no one needs or asked for every single link taking over our browsers for us.

2. Further, Vanilla does not know how to mark up paragraphs (with <P>). It sticks two linebreak elements between paragraphs instead (<BR><BR>).

Tagged:

Comments

• Disagree with the target="_blank" criticism.
    This is 2016 and, I think, tabbed browsers are the norm? 
    I mostly like it when something that's referenced on a forum opens in a new tab.  
  • joeclarkjoeclark Posts: 122
    Your choice: Hold down the Command key while clicking. Don’t force it on every link everywhere here on TypeDrawers.

Links go somewhere else. We don’t need a new “window” for any or every link.