collecting (glyph name) suffixes

Lukas SchneiderLukas Schneider Posts: 40
edited December 2015 in Technique and Theory
Hi Typedrawers,
I started to make a rough collection of suffixes for glyph names (e.g. .sc).
It would be great if you would provide other suffixes or sources where to find them. This is what I have so far:

small caps:
.sc
.smcp
.small
small

oldstyle figures:
.osf
.oldstyle
oldstyle

tabular figures:
.tf

proportional figures:
.fitted

tabular oldstyle figures:
.tosf
.taboldstyle

superiors:
.sups
.superior
superior

inferiors:
.inf
.inferior
inferior

numerators:
.numerator
.numr

denominators:
.denominator
.dnom

case accents:
.case
.cap

c2sc:
.c2sc

Comments

• .fitted are more likely to be proportional, aren't they?
  • True! my mistake! thanks! 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Nina StössingerNina Stössinger Posts: 151
    edited December 2015
    Aren’t conventions for at least some of this highly variable between designers/foundries? So I guess the question is what your goal is: Just to highlight popular conventions? Or to inventorize everything anyone’s ever done (good luck with that ;) )

FWIW when I made Suffixer I was wondering too what a good starting point would be for presets; I ended up populating the list with endings that would correspond to OT feature names, which I got the impression is a somewhat popular thing to do. I know this is far from “complete” (whatever that means in this context) but it seemed like a useful (and logical) selection to start with.
    presets = ["case", "dnom", "fina", "hist", "init", "isol", "locl", 
    "lnum", "medi", "numr", "onum", "ordn", "tnum", "pcap", "salt",
    "sinf", "smcp", "ss01", "ss02", "ss03", "ss04", "ss05", "ss06",
    "ss07", "ss08", "ss09", "ss10", "ss11", "ss12", "ss13", "ss14",
    "ss15", "ss16", "ss17", "ss18", "ss19", "ss20", "subs", "sups",
    "swsh", "titl", "zero" ]
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    I tend to use OTL feature tags as suffixes, e.g. .smcp, .c2sc, .sups, .ss01, etc.

For numeral styles, though, I use abbreviated alignment/spacing suffixes: .OP, .OT, .LP. .LT as appropriate, depending on which style is default in the font (and .SP and .ST if including smallcap numerals).

I use .cap for uppercase mark forms, and reserve .case for all-caps punctuation or other variants accessed via the OTL {case} feature.
  • For localized forms also I use language tags in OT syntax as the suffix, so for example Urdu number one will be arOne.URD
  • Thanks @James Montalbano @Nina Stössinger @John Hudson @Bahman Eslami!

@Nina Stössinger: I assume that these will differ between designers/foundries.
    On the one hand I would like to find out if there is something like most common suffixes, on the other hand such a list would help (at least me) to apply e.g. python scripts to a broader range of glyph names on default without the need of a user input for example. 

Currently I am not so much interested in things like swashes/endings/beginnings or stylistic sets etc. - more about the "basic" character set and figures I mentioned above. 

If anyone will add stuff still, it would be great if she/he could add a few words, because mentioning only the suffix could be difficult to comprehend in certain cases. 
  • I use a configuration file for OpenType.tools to specify what endings and suffixes to associate with a given feature. You can find a listing of these here.
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    periodcentered.ldot

This is used for Catalan, when the /ldot character is keyed “l periodcentered”.
    I suppose I could have named it “.cat”

quoteright.grek

Used for Greek quote mark that looks like the smooth breathing diacritic.

Of course, I could have labelled these “.alt”, which is what I usually do, but the more specific terminology helps me identify what the glyphs are for, especially as they are identical, in terms of BCPs, to other glyphs.
  • Thank you very much @Nick Shinn for the addition and @Tim Rolands for the link. @Tim Rolands: I assume Glyph Endings in your listing means that these are directly appended to a glyph name without using a period in between, like it is with a suffix, right? Thanks again for your support! Great work by the way! 
  • John HudsonJohn Hudson Posts: 2,955
    This is used for Catalan, when the /ldot character is keyed “l periodcentered”.
    I suppose I could have named it “.cat”
    Or .CAT if you want to observe the conventional distinction between script and language system tag casing.

• I assume Glyph Endings in your listing means that these are directly appended to a glyph name without using a period in between, like it is with a suffix, right?  
    That is correct.