Options

Obstacles in updating to El Capitan?

Hi everyone.

Has anyone run into problems in upgrading to their Macs to El Capitan related to type tech software like Python stuff and design-related software?
I suppose I should save my Python site-packages folder to the side.
Anything else to consider?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    I would wait for 10.11.2. There are still some instabilities in the system.
  • Options
    Still hesitating to upgrade to Yosemite, mein Lieber. But I guess that worked for you?
  • Options
    yanoneyanone Posts: 129
    I skipped Yosemite. Still 10.9, forgot the name.
    But reading that El Capitan is basically the optimized version of Yosemite makes me wanna upgrade after all.
  • Options
    I'm on 10.9. Still waiting for official update for Robofont.
  • Options
    I waited awhile for Yosemite and don't recall any problems. I just updated a couple days ago to El Capitan with no problems besides the overall OS running a bit slower and having some lag.
  • Options
    The Python site packages folder stays intact this time, surprisingly.

I had some issues with any but the latest FontLab 5 builds, they recorded erroneous mouse dragging when clicking in the glyph window, moving points around in the process. Build 5714 seems fine.

Hadn't noticed at first, but Illustrator CS3 crashes on launch. Photoshop and InDesign CS3 work though.
  • Options
    I upgraded a few weeks ago with no problems. 
    The upgrade process took longer on my work computer than my home computer. Probably because it had to churn through a crapload of ufos. 

Robofont, Metrics Machine and FontLab work just fine.
    Like Jens said, the site packages folder doesn't get wiped out. That was a nice surprise.

El Capitan includes System Integrity Protection which locks down /usr and /bin. I had to spend a little time updating homebrew and moving a few things to /usr/local/bin. 

Other than that, the new OS is fine. There's nothing AMAZING in the update. Just an incremental improvement.
  • Options
    Thomas PhinneyThomas Phinney Posts: 2,749
    edited November 2015
    I upgraded to El Capitan quite early on, because we needed somebody on the FontLab team to be using it as their primary machine and I deemed myself the most expendable at the time. FontLab Studio users on either Yosemite (10.10) or El Capitan (10.11) ought to move to the new 5.1.5 release to deal with some minor issues; I haven't had any other problems.
  • Options
    Chris LozosChris Lozos Posts: 1,458
    Thomas, Is this new or is it the same as we have been testing for a month or so?
  • Options
    I had to spend a little time updating homebrew and moving a few things to /usr/local/bin. 
    Where all the homebrew packages still there? And why did you have to move items to the /local/bin?
  • Options
    Wei Huang said:
    Where all the homebrew packages still there? And why did you have to move items to the /local/bin?
    Yes, all the homebrew packages were still in /usr/local/ and /usr/local/bin.

I had installed some packages to /bin which is why I had to move them. 
    Guess users like me are the reason they added System Integrity Protection :)