New Google logo

2»

Comments

• Google forgot about the apertures. And their innovation. And correct stroke weights.
    If Google strives to be more, why not be more than barely-corrected Helvetica relatives?
  • Nick ShinnNick Shinn Posts: 2,131
    Max, still working on the opinion thing.

The best I’ve come up with so far is little more than an observation:

The Venetian “e” would be quite daring—for a geometric sans—were it not for its provenance in Catull.

• James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    edited September 2015
    nevermind.
  • I keep thinking its one of their temporary homepage tricks, and we will get the old logo back any day now.

• I'm the opposite, glad that "Goudy with the mumps" is gone, scared it'll come back to infect me. ;)
  • :/ didnt say i wanted old mumps back,  just that I keep expecting it to happen
  • /g showcases that overdone overshoot that drives me nuts in large size glyphs. and something with /e seems misshapen right around the tip of its nose. I'm no prodigy, but I would be disappointed in myself if this were my work. I wish the crossbar of /G lined up with or below the top of the 'oog', but I suspect then it would be silly-huge. I feel like a committee never decided if they wanted a new style or a refresh, and this was the compromise. 

All that aside, the rationale they give for needing a new logo, and for making it sans is bogus. Ten years ago, they really did need a more any-device-friendly design. Today, even the lowest end displays on watches and widgets have hundreds of dpi and millions of colors that look great in all kinds of lighting. 
  • And then, there is this:

:( 
  • What the logo says to me:

"In trying to be everything to everyone, we take no stand whatsoever about the design of anything. This logo, therefore, is a study in identity through non-design. Like it or not, it will be recognizable instantly through its ubiquity (a quality we possess in greater measure than any company in the world), even to toddlers. Because we are Google, the success of the design (if you wish to call it that) is complete and unequivocal, save for the the handful of Refuseniks who spend their time at Bing." 

Or something like that . . . 

• A piece about the new Google logo was published in the online New Yorker:
    http://www.newyorker.com/culture/sarah-larson/why-you-hate-googles-new-logo
    It's interesting to read a non-professional's view.

Another thought occurred to me: Google may have wanted to degrade the image of the search engine as they restructure the company. Perhaps someone else said that already.
  • Evie S.Evie S. Posts: 74
    edited September 2015
    I wish it was at least a slab. Although it is (according to one friend) sometimes associated with "medieval," I would love to see something that wasn't so bland. Yahoo (although hated) has the most charismatic design stating an opinion. I just want a break from Helvetica, Arial, San Fransisco, etc.
    Edit: I have a crude font. It retains a tiny bit of charismatic contrast and taking a break from Futura. The spacing and x-height are increased for actual legibility.

• I rather like Google's version better that this one, Evan. The spacing is less consistent here (/gl is extremely tight compared to /oo), and the /e is too close to being horizontal for not being horizontal for my taste.
  • Evie S.Evie S. Posts: 74
    edited September 2015
    It's just a rough draft I have yet to polish. I do agree with you, I just was tired. I don't want to clog this up with logo.
    Ignore the spacing for right now.
    Focus on the little need for hinting and spacing adjusting at smaller sizes.
    Comparison at regular-ish size and smart-watch size:

BTW: Looking into Product Sans, they have a glyph, /Google.logo, that has the logo
  • Stephen ColesStephen Coles Posts: 994
    edited September 2015
    This edit by @Frode%20Bo%20Helland is less stylistically divergent from the original:

• I don't really understand this obsession with the rendering of the letters. Yes, they're bad. It's not really hard to make them better. I really do appreciate standing up for craftsmanship (I tweeted my share about it too) but I don't think we're being served well by stomping our feet over the production-orientied details. Even drawn well, this is going to be a mediocre logo. Buy why is it such a mediocre logo? And what could they have done differently to more successfully meat their strategic and technical goals?
  • I feel like this signifies the end of another fashion cycle for the pared-down geo-sans. They went out of style in the late 1980's and came back around 1999*. They never really go away, but they do fall out of favor. If you don't believe me, time travel to 1995 and ask anyone what they think of of Avant Garde.

* thanks to a Travis album cover.
  • And what could they have done differently to more successfully meat their strategic and technical goals?
    From a design point of view we may know it better and from a commercial point of view Google may know it better.
  • They could have profited from just a low-contrast flavor of the former logo, without giving up all the quirks of Catull. So much features to build upon, to finally reboot with a few circles and the excuse of tilting the e.

A blurry what-if from the top of my head:

Another thought occurred to me: Google may have wanted to degrade the image of the search engine as they restructure the company.
    Well that's a nice plot twist :)