New Tabs

Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 420
Is there a way to make external links automatically open in a new tab?

Comments

• Mark SimonsonMark Simonson Posts: 1,652
    Holding down the command key as you click works in most if not all Mac web browsers. Don't know what the modifier key is on Windows or Linux, but I assume there is one.
  • Eris AlarEris Alar Posts: 420
    Thanks Mark, I use that (i'm on safari on a mac), but it would be nice if the default was to open in a new tab.
  • Kent LewKent Lew Posts: 905

I hope you don’t mean to make new tabs the default behavior of the site. I prefer to be able to make the choice myself, via key commands, as already discussed.

But if you wish to include a link in your own post that will specifically open in a new window/tab, add the target attribute to the anchor tag:

<a href="[url]" target="new">Linked text</a>

Whether it opens a new window or a new tab may be determined by the user’s browser preference.

Ah, that could help. BUt i did mean, all external links open in a new tab. the main idea being, that for everything that is not part of the actual forum, for example a link to a foundry's site, it opens int he new tab so that the place in the forum is not lost. this is especially handy for me when people are linking to samples of work, or examples for a comment, and you want to take a look but not loose where you were up in reading. But to put this in context, i'm gonna lose any sleep over it, just a personal preference thing.
  • James PuckettJames Puckett Posts: 1,969
    I’m pretty sure that this cannot be done without actually moving the forum to a private server and editing the source code.
    Yeah all good, just throwing it out there :-)
  • Choz CunninghamChoz Cunningham Posts: 18
    edited July 2015
    In Windows, CTRL+left-click creates a new tab for a link in all major browsers. I believe all the browsers, unfortunately, do not switch to the new tab when you do that. In Chrome/Firefox, links may also be dragged up to the tab area, in which case they open in the foreground.

You may also choose to open in a new tab from the right-click menu on windows, or from a long press in Android or Windows 8 in touchy mode.